MacGregor 22

Sep 11, 2016
MacGregor 22 Alviso
Hello, I am new to yachting and new to the forum. I recently acquired a 1982 MacGregor 22. It did not come with an outboard motor. As I learn how to sail I will be within the SF Bay Area before I take her past the Golden Gate Bridge and beyond. I have a couple questions.

1) What is the max size engine I can put on it.
2) Is the max size needed or is a smaller one more ideal.
3) What are the ideal brands to go with?

Attachments

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
You're probably limited to about 10 HP. Buy a newer 4 stroke motor if your budget allows or a good reliable 2 stroke. Since the bay is known for currents you're going to want the max size your boat allows.

If you're new to boating, to take a Coast Guard safety class and find someone to teach you how to set up and sail your boat.

Sep 11, 2016
MacGregor 22 Alviso
You're probably limited to about 10 HP. Buy a newer 4 stroke motor if your budget allows or a good reliable 2 stroke. Since the bay is known for currents you're going to want the max size your boat allows.

Thanks for the info

If you're new to boating, to take a Coast Guard safety class and find someone to teach you how to set up and sail your boat.
I am going to take the Coast Guard Safety course first. Heard it also lowers the boaters insurance.

Sep 11, 2016
MacGregor 22 Alviso
Next question. Does anybody know the speaker size of the two rear speakers?

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
All the previous answers are correct. The maximum recommended outboard for the Mac-22 is 10 HP. For the SF Bay area I would recommend nothing smaller than 8 HP. Many people prefer Yamaha or Tuhatsu but all of the current manufacturers make good outboards.

As for the speakers, I don't know about the power sailors or the bigger boats but, Macgregor didn't provide speakers for any of their trailerable boats before 1995.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Check your boat's outboard motor mount for its rating on weight. The weight of an engine can be doubled or even tripled by acceleration forces as the boat stern rises and drops in wave action. Do not exceed the weight rating and make sure the motor mount has a backing plate in the interior of the transom. It is not unusual back then to find motor mounts rated for horsepower but understand that back in the early 80's there were many two stroke engines and they were a lot lighter than the current four strokes. A 10 HP two stroke engine could weight 60 lbs. while a 10HP four stroke nowadays with electric start can weigh around 100 lbs. If in doubt and you are going to use one of the heavier engines then go ahead and replace the mount with one rated for the job. As far as power anything over 10HP may be a waist of resources but in SFB given the currents you might need every bit of it. As far as leaving the Bay in a Mac 22' pick your conditions window carefully to get out and once you are out consider being able to get back in is mandatory.

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Insurance on a Mac 22? If you have homeowners policy it should cover you.

Sep 11, 2016
MacGregor 22 Alviso
Thanks for the advice regarding the outboard motor. I will be picking up a Honda 100.. 10hp.. 4 stroke.. on Wed. I found this one online. Anything I should be on the lookout for when I go to see it?

"Honda 100, 10hp 4 stroke CDI outboard motor reconditioned a year ago with zero usage since. Taken out of my Balboa 26."

Sep 11, 2016
MacGregor 22 Alviso
Thanks again. I picked up my Honda 100.. 10hp... 4 stroke yesterday. She's almost ready to throw in the Bay

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Agree with Bud Gates. We had 4hp merc on our 22, but in SF Bay I think 8hp 4 stroke long shaft would work fine. I have a rule about everything that goes on a boat. WEIGHT, WEIGHT, WEIGHT.