MacGregor 22 pop top.

Mar 23, 2020
Macgregor 22 Victoria
Just bought an old Mac 22 that I am refurbishing for summer fun. Will probably have many questions, but here are a couple to start..
Can you sail the boat with the pop top up?
Does is require water ballast, and if so how do you do it?
Any idea where I can find an owners manual?

regards

Len

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Yes you can sail with the top open, but I would recommend only doing that on a very gently day. If you take a knock down your boat will flood instantly.

The keel on a Mac 22 is a 600 pounds of cast iron. That is your ballast.

I've attached a copy of the manual.

Congrats on your new boat. I've restored one in the past and I've had a lot of fun in mine.

Also attached a few write ups of some trips I've taken in the Mac 22
bulhead-back.jpg
2011-wax2.jpg
0625101711b(2).jpg
Anchor Mount.jpg
bowlight.jpg
bulkhead2.jpg
cockpit.jpg

Attachments

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Venture 22 Marina del Rey
Not a good idea, if you don't have hydraulic struts holding it up, the braces can get knocked out if it gets rough, and it will come down hard.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
We sailed our '71 V-222 PENNY SUE TOO Hull # 441 for five years. Found her a good home and now have '76 V-25. 44 years young. What prior posts said.1. will add to rgranger. I NEVER sail with pop top up. In the rare event you get knocked down, (Happened to us) gazillions of gallons of water will pour into the interior. 2. Yep, keel weighs 600 pounds. Older models were steel core covered in Glass. Newer were cast iron. Do you have year/hull #. If you have original sails hull # should be same as sail #. If not hull number should be a series of holes drilled in the stringer on the port side under the cockpit. Victoria B.C.? Have friends who live in Sanich. Send pics. ENJOY!! Pic sailing north out of Marina Del Rey, CA circa 1974. :You may have to rotate pic. Or we were sailing off the edge of the world:yikes:

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Not a good idea, if you don't have hydraulic struts holding it up, the braces can get knocked out if it gets rough, and it will come down hard.
Of course if you rig a small line to keep the top from bouncing up the braces will not release.