Mac26 D: can I braise Aluminum in making slug gate like in mods on Purple Sage?

Sep 20, 2011
MacGregor 26 Lake Waccamaw, NC
Purple Sage's mods show a slug gate made from a flat AL bar and AL 1/2" rod. This allows the mail sail to be lower on the boom when dropped. I think I can braise the rod to the flat bar, but don't know if that will be strong enough. Any comments on braising vs going to a welding shop to have this done; or recommendations to do this or not.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
I just closed up the slot with a 2 pound hammer and a 2X4 and then opened another on below the boom. Once bent on I never take main off just flake it and cover it until I am ready to trailer home.

Jun 4, 2015
Macgregor 26D Lake Country, BC
I did the same as timebandit and used a slug gate insert as shown by rgranger. Aluminum is quite easy to shape with fairly light hammer blows and if you overdo it, quite easy to open up the slot. It will not take brazing at all to the best of my knowledge.....

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
My gate is always open but under the boom so the sail cannot fall free with the boom in place.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
There is an aluminum soldering rod (melts below brazing temp), that could be used to fabricate custom aluminum parts such as this. There are several sources including Harbor freight. In this video a guy, with the welding expertise of a pet rock, is able to solder two pop cans together with a propane torch.

You can home fabricate with aluminum on the cheap using this method. I would not use it for structural components, however.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Don't forget the magic that is JB Weld!. For that matter you could go with 3M 4200 and it would be removable later. Just use some tin snips to cut out a piece from a soup can... or bud-light can... glue it over the slot....If you are feeling brazen and want to snub fate...

1584459024219.png