Mac 26classic LAZARETTE...set up and access

Nov 15, 2020
Macgregor 26s Bay City Michigabn
What do you store in yours? I'm thinking lines, fenders and out board tank... How do you keep your tank from flopping around? Yup its big, but one needs to be a midget or have 5 foot arms to set it up...UGH. Wonder how you folks have set up yours?

Nov 30, 2020
Macgregor 22 Dania, FL
The Admiral says to make a big square bag of nylon net and hang it in the opening. Now your stuff can't get any farther away than the depth of the bag.

Chip V.
s/v Sand Dollar

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
I glued down some 2x2 cleats with 3m 4200 to keep the tank from sliding, and attached the tank strap to the cleats.

Previous owner put some hooks in that I use for dock lines, fender, and anchor.

Nov 15, 2020
Well thanks much for the input. After I'm finished installing the anchor, dock lines, fuel tank, etc. I'll be more at peace with that cavern. Kind of challenging to work down there, but tis possible to do...... best to you all.

Aug 5, 2019
Macgregor 26 S NJ
I have my 15-gallon freshwater tank down there with the pump, I keep all the life vests in there when not in use. My Tohatsu gas tank is small enough to keep out on the cockpit floor, it's not in my way and I'd like to keep an eye on it vs it staying hidden in a closed-off compartment like the laz.

Nov 15, 2020
George I like the life vest idea as well. I usually carry the water in gallon jugs as its generally available anywhere.... thanks for contributing. Hope to find a way to organize all of this. If I keep the 3 or 6 gallon gas tank in the laz I'd build a sturdy shelf for it, rather than try to dig it out of the bottom each time it needs filling.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
My laz' were like deep chest freezers. I discovered things I didn't know I had when I sold her (26S) :biggrin:

Nov 15, 2020
Ahhhhh, maybe the laz is where my extra car keys and glasses reside, I'll check ;o)

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
If I keep the 3 or 6 gallon gas tank in the laz I'd build a sturdy shelf for it, rather than try to dig it out of the bottom each time it needs filling.
That is what the PO had done on my boat. And he made the shelf big enough to place the battery in there as well. Not knowing any better at the time I left it that way. Now that i know better, I still haven't moved either of them to a better location yet.

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Macgregor 26S Sherwood Park, Alberta
I'm in the process of pulling out all of the electrical bits from our Laz - it's completely empty now. I have to replumb the cockpit and motor well drain while I'm down there. I can hop right in and sit comfortably to do the plumbing - it's cavernous! We'll then be using the space for fuel storage, lines and fenders, stern anchor etc. I do like the idea of bonding some wood in there to create shelving of sorts. Maybe for fishing tackle and swim gear. I also want to build a cockpit table setup - maybe I can cleverly work in a slot to slide whatever bits that entails so we have nice out of the way but easy to get to storage. If the shelving works I can imagine a pull out drawer to slide into that area under the stern coaming ahead of the motor well. Good space there - just needs a drawer or shelf to make it useable.

Busy spring ahead for me it sounds like : )

Nov 15, 2020
Lots of good ideas...you'll have to weigh which are your top priorities, don't know if you can do all of those tempting ideas. I'm 6'2" tall and its a real back bender down there for me.... ahhhhh life!

AndyVS

Sep 4, 2015
Corsair 31 UC 179 Port Sanilac
I mounted a strip of wood on back wall of laz & another on front, cockpit side. I put hooks on the back wall board. On each side, I have lines run between the boards. Lot's of room to hang pfd's, fenders, extra lines.

A couple of years ago, I decided to add a second cleat & also replace the original plastic cleat on the stern port gunwale . Emptied the laz, removed the drain hoses and crawled down there. I'm 6'3" & it's surprisingly easy to get in. Getting back out was nearly impossible. My son threatened to leave me there & keep the boat for himself.

Nov 15, 2020
Wow, you must be a gymnast...actually I'm waiting on receiving my new 9.9 extra long shaft out board (Mercury) as I'm not sure what the dimensions of the new gas tank will be in order to build the shelf or tie downs...hoping the really long shaft ob will come clear out of the water when its tilted up mounted on the fbrglass hull cut out. I like the idea of things to hang ones lines and fenders, thanks.