Mac 25 overhaul

woodzy

Sep 21, 2014
Catalina 28 Oceanside Ca..
IMG_20151211_160909154.jpg IMG_20160101_120339234_HDR.jpg IMG_20151203_130213267_HDR.jpg IMG_20151208_165321220 (1).jpg Been awhile since I've last posted. The Sweet Sandy Ann has gone through many changes since. New running lights, mast light, all new 12volt wiring with new panel,12 volt led cabin lights, complete 110 shore power kit from Easy ac/dc, every perforation through hull has been rebed with brutal rubber and finally not a drop inside. But the most fun I had was getting boat off trailer at my shop to redo bottom and rebuild keel.I'm blessed to have tools to make job much easier. Had keel sandblasted casting was so rough. Bondo 2part epoxy paint on keel and bottom then ablative paint on everything below water level. There's a lot more I've done. Money wise,we all know what boat stands for.I don't keep track of hours cause it would probably make me sick. It's all fun when I bought her she was a mess. Now i'm pretty proud of her.Now shes in a slip in Oceanside Harbor in Southern Calif. now I can sail anytime work permits. we love it. Oh the guy in picture is my father he's my 80 yr old sailing instructor

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Good job on that keel. Having that equipment sure saved you a lot of time and effort.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Woodzy....
I am infinitely jealous of your work yard and heavy equipment... can we be friends? I'll bring beer, I promise.
Seriously, great job on the swing keel. Having done the same job on a Catalina 22 it always warms my heart to see another brave soul attack one of the biggest DIY jobs in boating.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
Nice Job!! I did mine again last year. Again.
The overhaul never ends. Just happens in stages. Mine seem to be like shampoo... Hoist, overhaul, repeat...., Remove windows, seal, repeat...trailer...you get the idea!!!
Happy Sailing!

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
WOW!! Keel looks great. Keep up the good work and send pics. Have owned three ventures (21, 222 & 25) and kept logs on repairs, Mods, etc. It's amazing how much time one can spend messing about in boats.

Mar 16, 2016
1982 MacGregor 25ft Columbus, Indiana
Woodzy, your boat looks beautiful, I have just commenced working on mine. It is a 82' MacGregor 25, the guy whom had it before moved on to a bigger boat and fell out of love with this one. I am starting at the keel swing pin and in the owners manual it calls for replacing the rubber seals and bedding everything in seating compound. My question is, what exactly is bedding compound and what is the type of rubber for the seals? The previous owner had the boat for 6 years and never touched the swing pin so I figure it is worn and time to replace. He told me the guy before whom owned the boat was a tinkerer, I figure he probably did maintain the boat.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I used butyl tape. Put the Bolt through the washer and run a couple wraps of butyl around the trunk side. Stick it through the trunk and keel and do the same to the other side. When you snug up the bolt it will bottom out if the stock bolt is in there preventing overtightening. The butyl fills any gaps and allows for easy removal. I put some heavy grease on the pivot point before I pushed it through. Clean up the ends so the sealer sticks. Tighten and you should be good to go.

woodzy

Sep 21, 2014
Catalina 28 Oceanside Ca..
blue water yachts sells a kit, pivotbolt rubber washers and concave stainless washers. works great mine used to leak and I didn't use any bedding at all