Mac 19 rudders? Any mods out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jason Roznos

HI, Has anyone made or found better rudders for the Mac 19? I have a plan to make new ones with more authority. Has anyone done this? Havencraft used to sell so called "High Performance rudders" for the 19 but stopped making them and didn't give me any info or specs. Thanks, Jason

M

Mike (Max Rudders)

Building mac26c rudders

Hi, I'm currently building improved rudders for the mac 26c's in response to the weatherhelm effects felt on this model. Just tried out the prototype this weekend with excellent handling results. Solved 95% of the handling problems in steady 15 knot winds with 25 knot gusts. These new rudders are made from white oak using West System resins and will sell for $300-400. I'm interested in the Mac 19 and if it needs an improved rudder for the same reasons?

J

Jason Roznos

In Response to rudders

Thanks for the info. The Mac 19 has horrible rudder authority. The problem is that they are kept down to steer the boat at high speed 20KTS in addition to sail. In light air you have to use the sails for control and wanders aimlessly with just the main up. The engine alone can steer the boat if the rudders are up but it is much easier with the tiller handle. The boat is great with some wind though. I was going to take marine plywood and cut a balanced deeper setup and wrap it in glass. The mac 19 rudders are really thick and need a width of almost 2 inches. I'll let you know if it works. Thanks

D

Doug Rodrigues

Rudder mod

Go check-out the photo at http;//community.webshots.com/photo/15396994/17617243rnObzKIdTr

Status
Not open for further replies.