M25 bottom work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
Hi... I am a new owner - and I have some work to do.... I need to work on the bottom - pain, clean and repaint the keel, and check the overall condition of the gel coat. To do that, I have to lift off the trailer. So I ask for suggestions, as I know that some here have already been down this road... I had thought about using the "10,000" pound towing straps from harbor freight and several come-alongs... or proping up on trestles... or "wheels on a ramp" techniques... suggestions? The keel is in pretty good shape. Want to drop it and get the rust off. A little electolysis with TSP and a small swimming pool should get it clean of rust - then painting... POR 15 was mentioned... or are there other suggestions? Really... it is in amazingly good shape for an '83. So I have someting nice to start with. Gelcoat fixes, an "eye-bolt" pulling out and minor touch up seems to be the main items. I do plan on trailering a bit - So now is a good time to get it "all" right.... thanks a bunch --jerry

Jun 17, 2005
- - Kemah, Texas
THE BOAT YARD WAY.......

I went to a friendly BOAT dealer locally, and for $30. on a slow business day, he hoisted my Mac 26C for my repairs to my swing Centerboard. The job was easy. BUT, Ive noticed some sailors simply jack up the trailer & boat, block up the boat with special jack stands, then lower the trailer for easy access to the underside of the BOAT. The second system above is OBVIOUSLY best...you can take your time, and location of CHOICE--preferably at HOME. BEST TO YA...

K

Keith

This is the way I did it.

This is the way I serviced my keel and did the bottom job. Watch out for that keel! It can get away from you and crush parts or your body before you even know it. The 10,000 lb trucker’s straps do well. Instead of four come-alongs I used a car jack and blocks of wood to jack the boat up off the trailer and then tighten the straps.

Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
That helps

I looked at straps - and thought of the 4 come-alongs approach. I can see that it would be better to jack up the trailer and let then let it down slowly into slings. I am not all to sure of myself and likely will overkill on it... But still, that's why you get an old sailboat, isn't it? You had *best* like to work on it.... I appreciate all suggestions.... :> --jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.