M18 - Ignition Switch vs Starter Button

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob

I have the Universal M18 and Standard Instrument panel on my 1988 Catalina. Several times the starter button after turning on the ignition has failed without some coaxing (taking it off the panel, cleaning the wires, etc). It is not a starter issue. The engine has 465 hours and the starter seems to be fine. We replaced the starter button with a standard West Marine universal unit, which was a perfect fit. But, the first itme I tried to start the engine with the new unit it failed! Subsequent attempts were successful. The question I have is the role of the ignition switch with the starter button? I will turn the key until the "buzzer" comes on and do the ususal glow plug button hold and then starter button; however, can the igntion switch be the culprit in hard or no starting, or can I assume once the "buzzer" is going, it implies I have a clear and good circuit for the starter button and all is suppopsed to be okay? I will assume for now that the starter button electrical source to the engine starter is thru the switch. Thanks Bob

Sep 13, 2005
Hunter 410 watkins glen, ny
Switch or ?

In your post you really didn't make it clear whether the starter motor was energized and the diesel wouldn't catch, or whether there was no action at the starter motor at all. Further, you said that the starter was "good." How do you know? Corrosion on the leads, terminals, battery, etc all can limit or prevent "juice" from energizing the starter solenoid. It doesn't seem likely that a brand new switch would fail. I would check your electrical path carefully to make sure you have good conductivity. If its a case of the diesel not starting, check your fuel filer and fuel supply. You may be cursed with crud. 9/10s of all non-starts are caused by poor, dirty fuel. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.