m-18 overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tom

I have a 1984 catalina 30 with an m-18 in it with the recommended 13x10 prop. after only running it for several minutes the temp goes up to and over 215 deg. I've checked the raw water pumps and hoses the heat exchanger engine water pump exhaust system replaced hoses etc. Although I have found a few things wrong along the way which I did correct I still have the hots, help!

G

Gordon Torresen

Hots

Over heating in such a short period indicates there is something seriously wrong in the water circulation or in the temperature indicating device. You did not mention checking the water inlet. Sometimes its weeds, barnacles or some other blockage at the through hull. In checking the pump, what did the cover plate look like, what did the cam look like and was the proper gasket used? Were all the old blades found from a previous impeller failure? How was the heat exchanger checked? There are lots of things to check and it would be a lot easier hands-on. It is often something that an experienced Universal mechanic spot quickly because he/she has done it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.