Loose Steering on my Mac26x

Dec 6, 2018
MacGregor 19 Lake Isabella
The steering is so loose on the Mac26x I just purchased, that if I let go of the wheel for a faction of a second the boat will fall into a hard starboard turn regardless of the speed. Can anyone tell me how to fix this so it will hold a steady course under power or sail. My previous Mac26x would hold a beautiful course without a hand on the wheel. I just assumed all Mac26x or m would. It is going to be difficult to single hand my new boat if I can't get this figured out.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Do you have an owner's manual..... that's where I would start.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Did you know this when you bought it? What did the seller say?
There's a Facebook Mac26 owners page here. I don't do FB so I can't say much about it

Dec 6, 2018
Did you know this when you bought it? What did the seller say?
There's a Facebook Mac26 owners page here. I don't do FB so I can't say much about it
The PO said the thought the sudden right turn was standard. He had driven it that way for years. I only have experience with 2 Mac26x. The previous one held a beautifully steady course. Just what I needed for single handing. This one does not. So, the question all Mac26x owners....Do most Mac26x hold a steady course, or is a hard turn a standard safety feature to ensure the boat does not run away when the pilot falls overboard? ;-)

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
If it was an earlier Mac I would be suspicious of the mast set up ( left, right, rake).

Dec 6, 2018
If it was an earlier Mac I would be suspicious of the mast set up ( left, right, rake).
It is a 2001 Mac26x. But, this misbehavior is severe, and under power. PO did not sail it, and I have yet to sort out the rigging to get it sailing.

Oct 10, 2010
Hunter H260 Gull Lake
my Mac held course very nicely. it sounds like there may be too much slop in the wheel or steering cables. make sure they are tight and haven't been stretched or if a crimp connector on one side has come loose. Also verify that your wheel and rudder are aligned.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The folks at BWY may have some advice.

Dec 6, 2018
Finally got the boat out sailing. It tracks much better under sail. I found it would balance well at certain points of sail, and I can tie the wheel at others when I need to leave the wheel briefly to attend to other matters. Im wondering if there is an attachment for the wheel that would act as a friction ring that can be tightened to hold the wheel in place.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Here's a handy device called a "Tiller Tamer" made by Davis. There are other commercial products. There are DIY solutions also. Search "tiller tamer" or "tiller clutch"

CaptVR

Nov 17, 2018
Macgregor 26X St.Petersburg, Fl.
Going hard or not so hard to port or starboard while under power can be easily fixed by adjusting the trim zink. That little fin on the back of the cavitation plate. You normally set this trim zink for engine speed / torq at your nominal, normal cruise speed so you go straight with hand off the wheel. You will notice some pull applying power higher than cruise speeds. No problem with cable, no problem with fittings, just a simple adjustment of the trim zink. Besides, if it was due to any of these other items have mentioned, it would still do it under sail, since all linkages are tied in together... Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret.

CaptVR

Nov 17, 2018
Macgregor 26X St.Petersburg, Fl.
Finally got the boat out sailing. It tracks much better under sail. I found it would balance well at certain points of sail, and I can tie the wheel at others when I need to leave the wheel briefly to attend to other matters. Im wondering if there is an attachment for the wheel that would act as a friction ring that can be tightened to hold the wheel in place.
CaptVR here. I actually just made up a friction wheel lock/brake under the plastic cover of the Morse helm. Made it out of a piece of Purple Heart with a SS bolt coming thru the side of the plastic cover. Just like the helm locks on an Edson pedestal. A simple piece of aluminum angle holds the wood in place around the helm shaft. I epoxied a 2" diameter knob to the bolt head for tightening / loosening the break.