Loose fan belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jan

Is tightening the fan belt considered regular maintance? I'm tryind to frame a question that will make sense. Here goes: We've owned our boat less than a year. Following the purchase we had a mechanic go thru engine. At that time he installed a new fan belt. In July the belt was extremly loose, had it tightened and now is lose again. We have put about 30 hrs. on the engine during this time. Any ideas about the problem or is this a problem?

E

Eric Lorgus

Need more torque or less vibration

Jan: Yes you have a problem. The only question is, what specifically causes your fan belt to keep working loose? It's either the obvious answer, that not enough torque was used on the anchor bolts when it was last tightened, or, the less obvious, which might be that the engine vibration may be abnormally high, and the loosening fan belt is just one of what are likely many results. I have a Yanmar 2GM20F. In the last two seasons, I have not had to adjust the belt tension at all, albeit I've only logged 30 hours on the engine this season, so far. Good luck. Eric Lorgus S/V Explorer

P

Paul Akers

Simply replace the lock washer...

...on the adjustment arm. Check to be sure there is one and replace it as well as the bolt. It shouldn't slip that often. Good Luck.

G

Gordon Torresen

Loose belt

You must determine if the adjustment is slipping, if the belt is wearing or if you have a new problem. Retighten the belt and put a mark on at the adjusting bolt for reference. How much belt dust has accumulated near the front of the engine? A wrong shaped V will wear rapidly as it tries to conform with the pulleys. Assure that the belt that you have is for the application. Check the brackets where the alternator mounts. If nothing becomes apparent, let us know what you did and what results you obtained and we will think a little deeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.