Looking to buy c22 questions.

Sep 6, 2020
Kent Ranger Ranger 20 Brookville Lake Indiana
Hello all. I looked at a c22 today. The boat was built in 1972. I inspected it as best I could on the trailer. Overall the boatbis solid. I do have one concern as I'm not familiar with this boat. While sitting on the trailer the bottom of the keel was leaning to the starboard side. Is this acceptable? Should it be straight? I know I'll have to drop the keel and repair as needed but this lean has me worried. Thanks in advance for your help.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
could be it was simply retrieved off center onto the trailer - the keel has some side to side wiggle when up, I've experienced that and is a non-issue....OR could be a serious issue of loose or broken keel hangers or pin, or worn keel in need of bushing. Crank it up a bit so it's off the trailer if possible, it should hang straight....inspect hangers, cable, etc., posting some pics would help...fwiw

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Man, without pics that's impossible to answer. If you're planning on doing a complete keel restoration anyway, you're PROBABLY safe ... but ...

Jul 11, 2019
Catalina 22 Lake Conroe, TX
I have owned a 1972 Catalina 22 since 1984. I have spent a lot of money over the years on upgrades. Normally the Centerboard sits in a rubber “V” that is part of the trailer. It is possible that when the Boat was last put on the trailer they missed the “V” or that the beds of the trailer have rotted out. I have reworked the center board including having to drill broken mounting bolts out of the bottom of the hull which is no picnic as they are hardened stainless steel. If you buy this boat, you will likely need to replace all of the centerboard fittings including the turning ball and the centerboard winch which was redesigned to prevent the center board cable from breaking, and all the standing rigging as well as the running rigging including the chain plates which were re-designed and increased in size from three eights inch to half-inch. If the spreader attachments are cast aluminum they need to be replaced with the re-designed stainless steel ones as the cast aluminum ones were breaking. The windows probably leak like sieves and will need to be pulled out and the gaskets replaced and repaired. If you sail in a lake, it is likely you will need to add a holding tank as the boat originally came with a thru hull head - now illegal. If your sails are original, they are probably blown out and will need to be replaced. The original mast was round and they later came up with an updated oval shaped mast which was much stronger and less likely to break. The short story is if you buy this boat and it has not been continuously updated you are setting yourself up to spend a lot of money and would probably be better off buying a more recent boat. If the sails are original, they are probably blown out and will need to be replaced as well. Hope this helps.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
+1 for Gene's comment-- if you'd like some specific input on key components get out the cell phone and see if you can feed us some pics. "keel leaning to starboard" is somewhat hard to contemplate-- you only have an 1 1/2" in the trunk to play with, but perhaps you are focusing on the trailer alignment relative to keel?

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Everything you need to know about inspecting a C22 before buying is available on the Associations website at the link below including prices and often needed repairs. As far as the keel well that one is all about the pictures when asking for advice over the internet is something "looks" off.