Looking to buy a Venture 222

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faris

Apr 20, 2011
Catalina 27 San Juan Islands
Took her out on the water today with the previous owner for a test run!
But, did you have fun? How did she sail? Looks good in the videio.
... the motor in the all the way up position still drags in the water about 2-3 inches, of course it will be more when heeled over.. is this a big deal in performance??
Well, it won't help you win races. Is it a big deal? Not really unless you want to go as fast as possible. Do you want to fix it? Yeah, probably eventually. If the mount and engine are in good shape, I'd just wait until one or the other isn't and worry about it then.

Then again, it might be an easy adjustment, depending on how you're attached. Just make sure your prop stays well below the water when you want it to. No matter how low your outboard goes, it'll come out of the water from time to time if you get in rough seas. It shouldn't come out at all over light chop. I've seen some rigged too high (in an attempt to keep it out of the water on all points of sail), only to have it barely skimming beneath the surface when in use.

Better to take the hit of a little drag than have it not deep enough.

Mine drags when the stern digs in, particularly if I'm heeled to port, but it mostly stays out. When raised in an unladen boat at the docks, it sits about 12" off the water. Lowered, it sits about 10" below the surface. I've wished it was deeper, but not much.

May 20, 2011
MacGregor 1971 Venture 222 Raleigh NC
But, did you have fun? How did she sail? Looks good in the videio.
Of Course!! Although it was Hottttttt.... would have been nice with a little more steady wind as it felt great when the breeze hit...

thanks for the info on the motor, I'm not going to worry about it right now and at least the part that is in the water is low drag...

back to interior scraping, painting, re-bedding hardware I go! I got a roll of butyl tape from a local RV shop for $8, wish I had discovered this stuff in the past on other projects!

Sep 26, 2010
Macgregor 1993 26S Houston
Took her out on the water today with the previous owner for a test run! The winds were pretty light but we did have a couple gusts that got us moving for a little while.

Here is a short video I took:
http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/ab232/ABankert/?action=view&current=2011-06-12_13-14-31_250.mp4

Also, check out the pic below, the motor in the all the way up position still drags in the water about 2-3 inches, of course it will be more when heeled over.. is this a big deal in performance??

It's hard to tell in the picture, but it doesn't look like it's tilted very much?
Anyway, I wouldn't worry, unless you are racing. I have a 26S, and I don't like having the gas tank in the cockpit, so I run with it in the motor well. It's out of my way but I can't tilt my motor, so I just let it drag in the water! I haven't checked the difference with gps, but it's not noticeably slower.
Jim

May 20, 2011
yeah, there is not much in the water but may drag more on a starboard tack. It is tilted up, it just doesn't tilt up a lot. I will take a closer look at it to see if I'm missing something.

I like the idea about the bungee holding it up past it's own stopping point, didn't think of that yet!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hey Green

I'm planning a trip from Oriental to Ocracoke Is. the week of the 26th. If you if you have any time, maybe we could form a flotilla. I'm looking to launch from Whittaker's Marina.

r

May 20, 2011
Hey Green

I'm planning a trip from Oriental to Ocracoke Is. the week of the 26th. If you if you have any time, maybe we could form a flotilla. I'm looking to launch from Whittaker's Marina.

r
I would LOVE to be able to do this... had already thought about this trip for next year... unfortunately there is not way that the boat or myself will be ready! Is this a yearly trip you do??? I'm definitely in for next season, I'm sure the boat will be ready by then... Do you ever sail down here at any of the lakes in NC? Smith Mtn is a great area, I lived in Harrisonburg for 7 years before moving down here...

Jan 19, 2010
Is this a yearly trip you do???
Sort of. Last two years I sailed out of Elizabeth City and cruised around the Albemarle Sound. I like the OBX sound side. The water is warm, wild life abundant and the towns cater to boaters with free city docs and bath houses.

Do you ever sail down here at any of the lakes in NC?
I've sailed in Kerr reservoir a few times. In fact the chart for Kerr reservoir is hanging on my office wall as I type this. I like to stay at Hibernia State Park. You can get camp sites right up on the water and then bring your boat right up to the camp site. I usually go with some other boaters for Labor day. There is also a marina at Kerr reservoir that caters to sailors. All I really know about them is that they seem nice and they sell ice cream :D but that might be a great place to start a trip.

Later,

r

Smithy

Dec 13, 2010
Macgregor 22 Alexandria, VA
Those Johnson's have 2 "up" positions, IIRC. You've got the first one, it'll go to almost 90 degrees. Just flip the lever again and pull.

May 20, 2011
Those Johnson's have 2 "up" positions, IIRC. You've got the first one, it'll go to almost 90 degrees. Just flip the lever again and pull.
You're a genius!! I did not catch that extra stop... thanks for the heads up!

May 20, 2011
Took her out for the first voyage with the family (2 yr old and 6 month pregnant wife) We had a nice steady wind today, was just about perfect!

Took a short video too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF5fTr1ur9g

3 questions:

- Since i have a traveler do I need to rig a boom vang? If so, suggestions, pictures?

- Any info on rigging or adjustments of topping lift? I use it to support the boom which is great but besides that I'm clueless!

- Suggestions where to get replacement keel lock and pivot bolt? Lock bolt is severely bent and unsure of the condition of the pivot bolt, just a precaution.

Really enjoyed the boat today, can't wait to get the inside finished.

Faris

Apr 20, 2011
We had a nice steady wind today, was just about perfect!
Nice!
Since i have a traveler do I need to rig a boom vang? If so, suggestions, pictures?
You'll get different answers here. In short, no, you don't need the boom vang. But, on points of sail where the boom is at an angle where the point of attachment for the mainsheet is no longer directly above the traveler (i.e. at least on a broad reach or lower), the usefulness of the traveler greatly decreases and the usefulness of the boom vang greatly increases.

Think of it like this: You're sailing on a broad reach with the boom out nearly as far as it will go and you decide you want to flatten your sail. Can't do it with the traveler. You can make it slightly more or less curved, but if you want good control at this point of sail you need a vang.

I do quite well with a vang and no traveler except when pointing, particularly in higher winds, at which time I do a lot of cursing fighting the weatherhelm.
Any info on rigging or adjustments of topping lift? I use it to support the boom which is great but besides that I'm clueless!
That's what it's for. Mine consists of a foot-long piece of 1/4 inch line attached to the backstay with a snap shackle on the loose end.
Suggestions where to get replacement keel lock and pivot bolt? Lock bolt is severely bent and unsure of the condition of the pivot bolt, just a precaution.
As far as I know, these are just stainless steel bolts - nothing special about them. I ran into some questions myself about this that I'm going to post in a separate thread.

Nov 24, 2010
Seafarer 26 Ruskin
Congrats looks like you had a great time. Perfect boat for whereyou are sailing. Take care of the pivot bolt first. The lock is less important. Boom vang is not required but nice to have. Sail for awhile and see how she behaves first. I would like to hear opinions on topping lift. I have never used it for more then getting the boom out of the way. Of course you have to remember to loosen it after you put the sail up. If you don't it will leave your sail baggy. Great family video and outing.

Faris

Apr 20, 2011
I would like to hear opinions on topping lift. I have never used it for more then getting the boom out of the way.
You "can" use it to get more curve out of the sail if conditions really demand it. On the V22, the boom is so light that I've never seen a need for this, but on some boats this has some usefulness in really light winds.

Jan 19, 2010
I got my replacement bolts from a local place the specializes in "fasteners". All they sell is bolts and screws of all types. I'm guessing you have something like that where you live. If you know someone in the construction biz, ask them where they get their fasteners. You might also try Tractor Supply, Northern Tool or McMaster Carr.

r

May 20, 2011
Here is a picture of the first part of the interior rebuild. I used a synthetic baseboard for the trim pieces. It is super light and will not rot, only $7 for a 8 footer at Home Depot. Still have more painting to do and then start to rebuild the wall and table.... fyi - this is taking forever!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.