Looking for a trailer

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 26 Rocky Fork, OH
I have a 1983 catalina 22 with swing keel and it seems my trailer has gone missing. I will have to pull the boat out by early November and I am looking for suggestions on how to handle this.

I can potentially borrow a trailer and take my boat to a storage facility. Has anybody made a wooden support to put the boat on from a trailer? My other thought is to buy or rent stands.

I am just not sure I can find a replacement trailer in the next 30 days or so. Does anyone know of a trailer they might want to sell? I live in southern OH.

Any other suggestions? I am still holding out hope my trailer will show up but I need to make backup plans.

Thanks for your help.

Marcel

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
here u go in Michigan, if roadworthy...make him an offer (might have to dispose of his boat carcass though)

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Has anyone bought a new trailer for a C22 recently? I may be in the market in the next year, but I'm concerned about getting the proper keel support and guides, etc. Anyone know of any large commercial trailer manufacturers that make a good fitting trailer for the C22 swing keel?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
HH, can't find the thread, but IIRC, a new one is 3-4k....all set up for a C22....(likely worth more than the boat).....

Apr 11, 2017
Thanks rpludwig - I'll have to read that thread. I'm chasing a lot of rust on mine. Do you have the standard painted factory C22 trailer? If so - have you been able to keep the rust away in saltwater? I'd like to get a new galvanized, with disk rather than drum brakes, and also something a little more road trip worthy than what I have. I totally agree the cost is likely more than most C22's. The way I'm looking at it though, is I'll probably keep the boat forever, and the reason is basically, it can be kept on a trailer, and avoid slip and haul out fees etc. I've already spent way more money and work hours than the boat is worth - so might as well keep going...

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Road King makes them for Catalina Yachts nowadays. I paid 4K in 2016 for a galvy with disc brakes, spare tire mount, and upgraded (5000lb) axle. It's a solid trailer, no rust yet, although I do try hard to keep salt off it as much as possible. Original brakes and lights are still working.

It did come with POS tires. Both of 'em blew inside two years. And the tongue extension is insufficiently long for some of these shallow Florida ramps.

I have lots of pics if you want, their website doesn't show much.

Oh and also, Sail Trailers in Columbus GA makes them. They have the C22 specs on file, as well as many others. They built us a trailer for our Albin Vega 27 and did a great job.

Apr 11, 2017
Thanks Gene - that's exactly the kind of info I've been looking for. I'll probably go with either a Road King like yours, or maybe the Sail Trailer you mention. Did you have any opinion between the two of them? Also, do you recall the model number, and any options you selected, when you ordered yours?

I think Triad Trailers also makes a C22 trailer as well, at a similar cost. It looks solid, but I've seen trailers with a little more hull support than what they might have. A good trailer I'm sure though. If you have any pics of your set-up - I'd love to see them. If it's any trouble, please don't worry about it. I've seen a few photos in the past, and it looks like a great set-up.

Sep 30, 2013
Random thoughts, in no particular order:

Sail Trailers sells direct to the buyer. Road King does not. I bought my Road King from a dealer located about 1/4 mile from the builder, but I could not talk to the builder, not even on the phone. Instead, I had to talk to the half-witted old bassboat salesman at the stinkpot store, who knew less about sailboats than I know about the international space station. Every time I had a question, he would have to call the builder (he could have just walked outside and shouted, they were that close) and ask them. This was a black mark on my opinion of Road King, but of course your dealer might be an entirely different story.

Road King's trailer is designed for the lightweight current-production C22 Sport, so it comes with a 2400 lb axle. This is insufficient for our boats IMO. Again, I got mine upgraded. Dual axles were not an option. They had various options for brakes, I got surge/disc. They work pretty well, no complaints. The RK trailer has an impressive wiring harness, with eleven lights in total.

Sail Trailers is sort of a redneck operation, but the end results were great. I think they are a little cheaper than RK. They built the Vega trailer from specs they had on file, and they stone cold nailed it. I just told them what I wanted, gave them a deposit over the phone, and picked up the trailer about three weeks later. So I would trust them to build a C22 trailer the same way.

The Vega is not a trailer sailor, so I ordered a paint finish to save money. It has never seen water (other than rain water) but it is already rusting.

I would ask ST about their tongue extensions, since RK's are too short. Could be a difference maker.

Here's a couple pics of the day I picked up the RK. I have a bajillion more on file, if you want a closeup of anything in particular, just name it.

2015-05-21 09.12.26.jpg

2015-05-21 17.49.05.jpg

Apr 11, 2017
Thanks Gene - that's really a good looking set-up. Do you recall how long your trailer extension on the Road King is? How long of an extension do you prefer for the Florida ramps? I appreciate the advice. Has anyone tried placing sacrificial anodes on a painted trailer? I'm not sure it would do much, but theoretically, it might be something.

Sep 30, 2013
The RK tongue extension is 4'. I wish it was about 8'. But the trailer has a cross member which precludes the extension from being slid any further aft, so that's that.

It's long enough for maybe 70% of the ramps we use, depending on tides.

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 26 Rocky Fork, OH
I located a used trailer last week, needed a bit of TLC, but should work out for me. Thanks for all the good suggestions.

Marcel

Apr 11, 2017
I located a used trailer last week, needed a bit of TLC, but should work out for me. Thanks for all the good suggestions.

Marcel
That's good news - is it a specific Catalina C22 trailer, or are you modifying it?