Looking for '91 Mac 26S centerboard.

Oct 3, 2018
MacGregor 26s Right now, in my driveway!!
Hello all,
New poster and new Mac 26s owner.
Inherited the boat and all it's problems. New to the whole thing but having fun!
So, I recently (as in this past Monday) paid to have the boat lifted so I could replace the uplist cable on the centerboard.
What I hadn't noticed until the boat was back on the trailer was that the top of the centerboard has cracked open on the seam and the CB is in danger or braking off altogether.
Rather than try and repair it I'm trying to see if there are any used in good condition out there? I know BWY has new ones. Can anyone recommend other less expensive options?
Thanks!
upload_2019-7-18_15-45-56.png

Bugzy

Apr 9, 2019
MacGregor 26 Vancouver
Can you pull that out, glue it, seal it, and put a dozen flush mounted SS bolts through it? The extra weight would not be a bad thing. Would likely be cheaper than replacement.

Oct 3, 2018
Thanks Bugzy. I might try that.

Couple other questions.
Is there a standard (OEM) length of the down haul cable for the rudder?

Also, I need to redo the electrical system. Need 2 new battery's. What is the best kind to get for under the sink (lights) and companion battery for the electric start on the outboard? And how is the system recharged? I don't have an alternator etc. anywhere.

Thanks again all!

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
If your motor has an electric starter than it most likely has an alternator. It just is not an bolt on, it uses magnets in the flywheel like most motorcycles do.

Batteries, HUM
Take a moment and list on paper what you need a battery (batteries) for.
Start the motor---You should be able to start it with a rope in an emergency
Running lights, Anchor light, Deck light, Interior lights (none are used in the daytime)
Marine Radio, GPS, CD player
Auto pilot
Bilge pump (may never need it)
A couple of 12v power ports for charging cel phones and stuff.
One group 24 standard (not deep cycle) and a lot better replacement plan should do for a week out.
Mount it as close to the motor as possible so the largest wires will be running the shortest distance.

Oct 3, 2018
I have, thanks, waiting on a reply from Todd.
TimeB makes some good points.
I'm trying to do my DD before spending the $$$. There seems to be several options and many schools of thought.
Running lights are my priority since it's a safety feature and a requirement.

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
Macs are typically wired with what looks like household lamp cord and automobile snap fittings. I rewired mine with a new electrical panel from West Marine and marine wire. A search online will provide inexpensive tinned marine wire. My old wiring sat in the bilge bottom, so I attached it up and out of the water. I didn't have an electric starter, so I just used a portable battery charger.

Oct 3, 2018
I'm thinking about just having 1 battery for running lights and a radio so a portable battery charger (maybe solar) is the way I'm leaning. I can pull start the motor. Thanks for the reply.