Looking at a C-22, need a trained eye

Jan 1, 2021
Paceship PY23 otsego lake
I would suggest (if you haven’t already) to read through some of the extensive foredeck repairs BEFORE you decide HOW to proceed. You might also do a little reading on fibreglass - sandwich construction vs solid.

Not to say that the whole repair thing isn’t “entertaining” on its own, some people buy a used sailboat to go sailing, some buy one because it gives them a project. Most sailors end up somewhere in the middle :)
I hadn’t intended to do a refit, I’d much rather just sail it, but here we are. This site has plenty of good info on how to repair it. I’m gonna read up and give it a go

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I hadn’t intended to do a refit, I’d much rather just sail it, but here we are. This site has plenty of good info on how to repair it. I’m gonna read up and give it a go
So was the previous owner actively sailing it before you bought it? IF yes consider how much you actually HAVE to do vs WANT to do before you can get out there.

Here’s a link on sandwich. The logic is it yields a stiff, strong structure, lots lighter and perhaps even stronger than one single layer of FRP.

This works as long as all three layers are intact and stuck together. Your problem is that the inside layer has lost its integrity so the whole thing is now weakened. I would closely examine the top and bottom layers of FRP to determine if they are cracked etc. IF both are OK then decide if you care about cosmetics - that drives repair from the top or bottom layers of the sandwich. To me it’s a lot “easier” to tackle this from the top where I’m not laying on my back in an enclosed space breathing nasty fumes and having hot chemicals drip on me :) As we say here - your boat your choice.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021
So was the previous owner actively sailing it before you bought it? IF yes consider how much you actually HAVE to do vs WANT to do before you can get out there.

Here’s a link on sandwich. The logic is it yields a stiff, strong structure, lots lighter and perhaps even stronger than one single layer of FRP.

This works as long as all three layers are intact and stuck together. Your problem is that the inside layer has lost its integrity so the whole thing is now weakened. I would closely examine the top and bottom layers of FRP to determine if they are cracked etc. IF both are OK then decide if you care about cosmetics - that drives repair from the top or bottom layers of the sandwich. To me it’s a lot “easier” to tackle this from the top where I’m not laying on my back in an enclosed space breathing nasty fumes and having hot chemicals drip on me :) As we say here - your boat your choice.

That’s just the thing.there looks to be crazing or cracks on the inside layers by the chain plates. Honestly, were it not for that I’d just not worry about it

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
That’s just the thing.there looks to be crazing or cracks on the inside layers by the chain plates. Honestly, were it not for that I’d just not worry about it
I’m somewhat confused as you also said this:

“The entire foredeck and the starboard side of the cabin deck is soft/wet, and I’m a bit unsure how to proceed.”

Jan 1, 2021
I had meant with the repair. I hadn’t considered the possibility that I didn’t have to repair it I guess. Looking at the threads here some cut it out from the outside, some do it inside. I wasn’t sure what the reasoning was for either. My boat is ugly so if the reasons are only aesthetic, then it wouldn’t matter. I’m more concerned with maintaining the strength of the hull than anything else

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I had meant with the repair. I hadn’t considered the possibility that I didn’t have to repair it I guess. Looking at the threads here some cut it out from the outside, some do it inside. I wasn’t sure what the reasoning was for either. My boat is ugly so if the reasons are only aesthetic, then it wouldn’t matter. I’m more concerned with maintaining the strength of the hull than anything else
I guess the objective is to make sure the mast stays up and you don’t fall through the foredeck if you walk on it ;)

If having it look like it just left the factory isn’t a priority it would seem logical (at least to me) that opening it up from the outside, removing and replacing the damaged “core” and then putting the outside layer back on would be a lot easier than flipping the boat upside down or trying to get stuff done “over your head” from inside the boat.

Of course you make sure that the repaired areas are properly “tabbed” into the boat structure whether you do the work from the outside or inside.

Lots of approaches have been taken to deal with the problem, most documented here in the forums.

Up to you to decide what makes sense for you from a time, budget perspective, bearing in mind that once you tear it open you can’t sail it until you put it back together. :)