Locking the CB

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Always lock the companionway but not the cockpit and aft lazarettes. Never had a problem in all the marinas I have berthed in the San Francisco Bay.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Always, especially in foul weather, as you would not want a heavy ballasted keel to jackknife into the keel trunk, in a knockdown, destroying the hull. Perhaps if wanting to gunkhole into a very shallow area in calm waters may I temporarily unlock it in case I'd hit bottom.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I've never locked mine, doubt I ever will. I have zero faith that tiny little hand-tightened bolt could ever help me, other than to gouge the surface of the keel and give it a monstrous rust scar, and/or damage the keel trunk.

It's a personal choice though. No judgement on anyone who uses it. Lots of people do.

Tarkus

May 22, 2020
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
I've never locked mine, doubt I ever will. I have zero faith that tiny little hand-tightened bolt could ever help me, other than to gouge the surface of the keel and give it a monstrous rust scar, and/or damage the keel trunk.

It's a personal choice though. No judgement on anyone who uses it. Lots of people do.
Thanks again Gene!

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I'm with Gene on this, have never used it, but haven't been knocked down (yet) to test the pros v. cons. I can't believe that small bolt will stop a 550# hunk of cast iron if you happen to go past 90* & gravity takes over.
Here's Stingy's take on it....I expect his e-book on the topic is a good read....

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
I'm with Gene on this, have never used it, but haven't been knocked down (yet) to test the pros v. cons. I can't believe that small bolt will stop a 550# hunk of cast iron if you happen to go past 90* & gravity takes over.
Here's Stingy's take on it....I expect his e-book on the topic is a good read....

Daaang, eighteen pages on the subject? Ol' $tingy must have been in COVID lockdown a while! :biggrin:

I miss that guy's presence around here.

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
I had a centerboard on my previous boat, an O'Day 23. It was a regular fibreglass centerboard, not an iron encapsulated swing keel. On the O'Day there is no way to lock it down, and just a cleat to tie off the pendant to to hold it up in its trunk.

As far as a knock-down goes, if you tip more than the 120 degrees or so it would take for a fast enough free-fall of an iron keel to destroy the trunk you will have other issues to deal with, especially if the companionway doors/hatches are open and you start to ship water into the cabin.

Sep 30, 2013
Curious why lock a keel?
It would make the boat more capable of surviving a rollover or a turtle ... if it worked.

There is another reason folks mention, which is somewhat esoteric, but not entirely illegitimate:

Say you were to sail over a submerged object such as a coral head or a sunken log, which pushed the keel up substantially as you sailed over it, then released the keel suddenly after you passed it ... it could cause the unsupported keel to slam downward violently enough to crack the hull. There is a fair amount of anecdotal evidence on the interwebs that this has actually happened a time or two. But that is out of 15,000 boats, sailed who knows how many miles, over forty-some years, often in the hands of utter noobs sailing a $500 boat. ;)

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
My boat does not even have a keel CB locking device.

@Gene Neill ... what about the so called side slap... would the keel bolt actually reduce the sideways knocking noise reported by some owners and dealt with in other more elaborate ways?

Having cut open my keel (center board) casing I can vouch that it is very substantial in terms of sheer material thickness. The weak point for me is not so much the casing but more the actual hangers and their fixings.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
It would make the boat more capable of surviving a rollover or a turtle ... if it worked.

There is another reason folks mention, which is somewhat esoteric, but not entirely illegitimate:

Say you were to sail over a submerged object such as a coral head or a sunken log, which pushed the keel up substantially as you sailed over it, then released the keel suddenly after you passed it ... it could cause the unsupported keel to slam downward violently enough to crack the hull. There is a fair amount of anecdotal evidence on the interwebs that this has actually happened a time or two. But that is out of 15,000 boats, sailed who knows how many miles, over forty-some years, often in the hands of utter noobs sailing a $500 boat. ;)
That's the reason I've considered locking it - thumping up and over a submerged log. My thinking is the keel will still move, but the resistance of the bolt will slow the process down some. Hope not to test it-

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
@Gene Neill ... what about the so called side slap... would the keel bolt actually reduce the sideways knocking noise reported by some owners and dealt with in other more elaborate ways?

A less than ideal band- aid methinks-- if you have that much side to side gap in your keel (which almost all of us do or did...) then slamming the bolt over is actually potetentially solving a noise, but creating another problem with abrasion on the outside of trunk. Root cause for keel slap is space the keel appropriately-- shim accordingly. The bolt shouldn't come into play.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
re: "side slap".... ever since flipping the keel hangers right side up, we've had annoying banging going on with keel up in slip, never before when they were upside down. It did cross my mind to deploy the keel bolt to see if it helped, but alas, I didn't want to start a potential leak that's never been there before!

Shims are in order next bottom job likely this winter....and I may put the hangers back on upside down!!

Last edited: