Location of Echo Charger on Hunter 38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI
I'm trying map out the charging wiring system on my 2007 Hunter 38. Does anyone know where the Echo Charger is mounted?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It could be they were placed in different locations. Simply follow the smaller ground wires from the two banks' negatives until you find it.

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
It could be they were placed in different locations. Simply follow the smaller ground wires from the two banks' negatives until you find it.
Can't help with location, but there is only one ground on an EC and 2 Pos leads--one for each Bank. They are small 10 or 12 AWG. As Stu suggested, follow the Pos leads and you should be able to find it....

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
Echo charger on my H44 is built into the Xantrex inverter charger for the main battery.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I goofed, Solstice is right, 2 + and one -. Sorry about that. Also, true of the combined I/Cs unless you have an older model before they started building them in.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI
Thanks to all for the reply -I will try to follow the leads but they go into a large wire bundle making them difficult to follow so I was hoping someone knew where the Echo Charger is supposed to be located.

I am not sure an Echo Charger is still on the boat because when I bought the boat in 2007(it was 6 months old) the dealer replaced the original failed charger with a ProTech-i charger - this charger does not use an Echo Charger but connects directly to the house battery and starter battery and charges them independently. The manual for the Echo Charger is still on the boat so it was installed originally I think.

PKFK

Jul 12, 2004
Hunter 36 Ottawa
Watch out with the PROTECH charger. I have one and it appears that the banks are NOT independently charged. The "small" paper manual for it makes no mention of this behavior, but the online manual from PROTECH states that using 2 different sized banks will cause problems (undercharge the large one or toast the smaller one).

The PO of the boat had the shore charger only connected to the house bank, and didn't use the boat very much. When we first looked at the boat the start battery was dead - since the engine was not being run, and no echo charger was present. I didn't understand why the shore charger was not run to the starter bank, and had it wired into the start battery.......a bad solution in hindsight.

I am now looking to disconnect the starting battery from the PROTECH and add an echo charger based on Mainesail's articles.

Check your PROTECH documentation carefully. (Mine is the PROTECH -4 1230)

Cheers,

Paul

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI
Watch out with the PROTECH charger. I have one and it appears that the banks are NOT independently charged. The "small" paper manual for it makes no mention of this behavior, but the online manual from PROTECH states that using 2 different sized banks will cause problems (undercharge the large one or toast the smaller one).

The PO of the boat had the shore charger only connected to the house bank, and didn't use the boat very much. When we first looked at the boat the start battery was dead - since the engine was not being run, and no echo charger was present. I didn't understand why the shore charger was not run to the starter bank, and had it wired into the start battery.......a bad solution in hindsight.

I am now looking to disconnect the starting battery from the PROTECH and add an echo charger based on Mainesail's articles.

Check your PROTECH documentation carefully. (Mine is the PROTECH -4 1230)

Cheers,

Paul
Paul- I checked with ProTech and they said this was a problem with the ProTech 4 series but was corrected for more recent models.

Rob38

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 38 Severna Park MD
My 2005 Hunter 38 also has the echo charger integrated into the Xantrex inverter/charger. It's located under the port settee aft of the Bose subwoofer.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Not directly related to the echo charger but this summer I experienced a failure in the ProTech battery charger.
Was quite a challenge to find a replacement since it seems Pro Mariner has discontinued many of the models. This discontinuation coupled with anecdotal information from others who have had to replace the same charger make me wonder about defective product. Especially since the charger is only 5 years old.

Anyway after some searching we found a model that dimension wise will fit in the space. And the cost of the new charger was ONLY a bit over 1/2 boat unit. ?

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI
Not directly related to the echo charger but this summer I experienced a failure in the ProTech battery charger.
Was quite a challenge to find a replacement since it seems Pro Mariner has discontinued many of the models. This discontinuation coupled with anecdotal information from others who have had to replace the same charger make me wonder about defective product. Especially since the charger is only 5 years old.

Anyway after some searching we found a model that dimension wise will fit in the space. And the cost of the new charger was ONLY a bit over 1/2 boat unit. ?
What model did you find?

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
It is a Pronautic 12-30P. It has a temperature sensor that is something the previous charger didn't have. Enough settings and digital displays to make even the most tech geek happy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.