Live Near New Hampshire or Boston & Know How To Rig a Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
I returned from Philly to New Hampshire last night with a Hobie 18 mast, boom, mast step, rigging and sails (every part I could get off the Hobie).

I must find a way to use this to rig it to my Mac 26D as I have none of the original Mac rigging (except for the metal pullys and such that are screwed into the boat). The biggest mystery is to figure out how to attach the curved bottom of the Hobie 18 Mast Step (pictured below) to the non-rounded surface of the Mac 26.
I have purchased this mast to use it as a rotating mast.

Anyone know if a Mac 26 owner lives in the Boston or New Hampshire area? I have no clue how to rig this and would be willing to pay someone for their time if they would be willing to teach me how to rig this boat. I can bring the boat to you.
Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2012
Macgregor Venture 25 Council Bluffs, IA
Re: Live Near New Hampshire or Boston & Know How To Rig a Ma

I don't know what the shape of the mast is on the Hobie, but if it is similar to the Mac the hinged base plate would work out very well. I just put one on my V25 and it was very easy to do. That would also give you a good place to start with a mast raising system if you will need one. You may already have the bottom half on the boat. BWY sells the pieces separately.

On a side note. I never have heard back from the owner of the Mac we discussed previously. Sorry that did not work out. Likely would have been too costly anyway.

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
I don't know what the shape of the mast is on the Hobie, but if it is similar to the Mac the hinged base plate would work out very well.
The Hobbie 18 mast is shaped like the picture I attached below. Kind of a curved triangle.

On a side note. I never have heard back from the owner of the Mac we discussed previously. Sorry that did not work out. Likely would have been too costly anyway.
Don't worry about it, I appreciate you checking into that for me :)

Attachments

Oct 16, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Mesa AZ
I would think you could grind (saw) off the bottom protrusions making it flat and mate it to a hinged mast step (or even the one not hinged, if you drill a hole for the mast pivot pin). I would not mess with the Hobie step.

Apr 29, 2012
Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
https://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat1ID=20&cat1Name=Masts&familyID=40&familyName=DM-6+Mast
If yours is similar then the hinged mast base should be very easy to set up. And if you have the part on the boat. Only cost 25.00 plus shipping from BWY.
Ron, my mistake for finding a random Hobie mast on the internet. I went and looked at mine again, and mine is the opposite of the mast I posted. My "male" end with the nob sticking out like a trailer hitch is attached to the Mast Step, and my "female" end with the recessed hole to fit over that nob is on the mast.

I'm told the "Older Style" Hobie's did it this way, and your's is the updated style that is reversed. Take a look at this picture below and you can see my mast step.

Do you know if Dwyermast makes this part like mine for the mast step with flat base? Or maybe I can modify my Mac Mast Step to accept this rounded part?

Attachments

Apr 29, 2012
Re: Live Near New Hampshire or Boston & Know How To Rig a Ma

From the picture a few frames up, it looks like you can do like Bob McL suggests and simply cut or grind the knobs off. Or you can remove the screws and take the existing base out altogether. Then start with the hinged mast base from BWY. That is if your mast has the same profile as the one in the photo, and the link. Hard to tell from the last photo, it is small and will not expand.

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
Here are some better pictures of my mast step. Has anyone seen an aftermarket version of this only with a flat base?

ForumRunner_20120628_103010.jpg

ForumRunner_20120628_103040.jpg

ForumRunner_20120628_103120.jpg

ForumRunner_20120628_103149.jpg

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
Is the original tabernacle gone from the Mac? I guess what I am asking is there no plate left, just the deck with holes? I may have a tabernacle on my clipper, the mast dimensions are similar. When I moved the mast from the Clipper to the Mac, I used the Mac base. I just had to drill a new hole in the mast so it would pivot. I'll try to get a pic of the plate I have on the clipper tomorrow when i am there. I don't see the need to put the full hinged base in although it's a little easier. Mine rotates on the bolt through the mast. Keep in mind, mine is a frankenboat to some degree.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
The Hobbie 18 mast is shaped like the picture I attached below. Kind of a curved triangle.

Don't worry about it, I appreciate you checking into that for me :)
doc_holiday has it figured out for you.... take the screws or pop rivets out and do away with the insert... you dont need it. the mast will sit open ended on the new tabernacle just fine. just drill a hole in the mast for the pin to go thru about 1.5 inches up from the opening on the bottom and about half way from front to back.... if you have a slotted tabernacle. if your tabernacle is of the hinged variety, it may attach differently... see photos of mine. its slotted with a gin pole attachment. (im not sure why some of my photos upload as a thumbnail and others upload as attachments)

Attachments

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
Is the original tabernacle gone from the Mac? I guess what I am asking is there no plate left, just the deck with holes? I may have a tabernacle on my clipper, the mast dimensions are similar. When I moved the mast from the Clipper to the Mac, I used the Mac base. I just had to drill a new hole in the mast so it would pivot. I'll try to get a pic of the plate I have on the clipper tomorrow when i am there.
Thanks Doc for the offer! I might just want to take you up on your offer and send you some money for your part because I'm not sure if my current Mac Mast Step would work. Maybe you can tell me? Also, is the "Tabernacle" and "Mast Step" the same thing?

The tabernacle/Mast Step currently on my boat looks like this (but it is not a pic of my boat, i'll take one today):

Attachments

Mar 20, 2012
Thanks Doc for the offer! I might just want to take you up on your offer and send you some money for your part because I'm not sure if my current Mac Mast Step would work. Maybe you can tell me? Also, is the "Tabernacle" and "Mast Step" the same thing?

The tabernacle/Mast Step currently on my boat looks like this (but it is not a pic of my boat, i'll take one today):
"tabernacle" is more descriptive and proper... but mast step or stepping plate can also be applied. I am not familier with the brand of the one shown in the photo you posted, but it is also kinda hard to tell how high it is or if it is the hinged type.... but anything can be converted to work.

Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
centerline said:
"tabernacle" is more descriptive and proper... but mast step or stepping plate can also be applied. I am not familier with the brand of the one shown in the photo you posted, but it is also kinda hard to tell how high it is or if it is the hinged type.... .
I appreciate your advise Centerline! Here are pics of my boat's current Tabernacle. Can you please tell me if I have a "hinged" version, or what type this is? How can I make my version tabernacle work with a rotating Hobie mast?

Also, what are the small metal attachments for that are a foot away from the tabernacle on either side?

ForumRunner_20120629_190540.jpg

ForumRunner_20120629_190615.jpg

ForumRunner_20120629_190658.jpg

Nov 19, 2011
I was up working on the Mac today but ran out of steam after a short while when the temp went up over 100 at 40% humidity... I didn't have the energy to see what it would take to remove this from the clipper but I took these pics, I'd sell it for 30 plus shipping. That more or less will cover the hassle of getting off before I scrap that boat.

On this one, the bolt through the mast is the pivot so as the mast is laid down, the loose bolt slides up the groove. This has the added plate with holes that I'll let you have too. This is great for attaching blocks for various applications

Attachments

Mar 20, 2012
I appreciate your advise Centerline! Here are pics of my boat's current Tabernacle. Can you please tell me if I have a "hinged" version, or what type this is? How can I make my version tabernacle work with a rotating Hobie mast?

Also, what are the small metal attachments for that are a foot away from the tabernacle on either side?

View attachment 53881

View attachment 53882

View attachment 53883
again, Doc_Holiday has the answer for you.... the tabernacle assembly you currently have wont work without building an adaptor attachment to make it a "hinged tabernacle", which is what I think it was but the part that attaches to the mast is missing. acquiring a new one would be fine but more expensive than Docs answer.... are you trying to keep the "rotating" feature of the hobie mast? if you are than Im not the person to be suggesting anything about it:D, cuz I am not familiar enough with the rotating assembly.
if you get a common tabernacle and install it on the boat, the rest of the base attachment is as simple as a thru hole in the base of the mast and a 3/8"x4" stainless bolt and wingnut.....

the additional attachments to the sides could be for babystays im thinkin'.... to keep the mast from going over sideways while standing it up and letting it down...

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
centerline said:
are you trying to keep the "rotating" feature of the hobie mast? if you are than Im not the person to be suggesting anything about it:D, cuz I am not familiar enough with the rotating assembly.
Yes, I'm trying to keep it rotating. Doc, I like your tabernacle but I'm pretty sure that if I used it, the mast would no longer rotate as a bolt through the side would stop the rotation. If I'm wrong on that, please explain.

Nov 19, 2011
You're not wrong. This is just a traditional tabernacle. What will you gain by having a mast that will rotate unless the boom doesn't pivot at all?

Mar 20, 2012
Yes, I'm trying to keep it rotating. Doc, I like your tabernacle but I'm pretty sure that if I used it, the mast would no longer rotate as a bolt through the side would stop the rotation. If I'm wrong on that, please explain.
you will need to take the attachment from the hobie that the mast pivot sets in and have it cut and heliarced/welded to a flat plate that can be bolted to your boat in place of the tabernacle... in my opinion you are devaluing your boat and setting your self up for complications....

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
MacGregor 26D Boston
Doc_holiday said:
What will you gain by having a mast that will rotate unless the boom doesn't pivot at all?
Take a look at "r.oril's" and "Right On!'s" threads:
http://forums.macgregor.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=936943#post936943
http://forums.macgregor.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=142896
where they loved their new rotating masts. They both found improved sailing in light wind conditions and more speed overall. Isn't improving our boats the reason behind every mod we do? You do realize that the newest version of our boat, the 26M, has a rotating mast and sailors have reported that it's a great improvement over the 26X?

Michael, Director of Sales at MacGregor, (sometimes answers the phone when you call) is an avid MacGregor racer. Several years ago when he wanted to create the fastest 26, he chose the 26C and added a rotating mast from a 26M. If anyone knows how to create the fastest 26, Michael does, and he wouldn't have added the rotating mast if it wasn't worth the effort. He reported increased performance from the rotating mast.

In my opinion, adding a rotating mast is one of the greatest mods we can do and creates a special boat, the elusive "26R", as they now call it. Most of my sailing will be done in light wind lake sailing on Lake Winapasaki, NH.

I'm not worried about de-valuing the boat as it only cost me $800

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.