Listing to port

Feb 21, 2016
Catalina 34 Worton Creek Marina
Our '93 C34 seems to list to port by just a few degrees. I don't understand why this is, especially since the two freshwater tanks are over on the starboard side. I'm not the only one who has noticed this so it's not just my perception. Has anyone else experienced this and come up with a reason for it?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
You are not the only Catalina that lists to port as discussed in the tread below with potential reasons and solutions to offset listing. I am sure Catalina 34's and the the forum will offer their observations.

Feb 21, 2016
Thanks for the reply and the link to the other thread. I'm not going to go adding additional ballast to the keel to counteract the list. I'm relieved to know it's not just my boat but a "feature" of Catalina's in general.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I believe you can offset the port list by strategically storing gear on the starboard side under the settee and storage cabinets as suggested in the thread.

Feb 21, 2016
I would think the two water tanks on the starboard side would take care of that. I'm not concerned about the list, just curious about it and glad to know that it's not a misperception on my part.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Thanks for the reply and the link to the other thread. I'm not going to go adding additional ballast to the keel to counteract the list. I'm relieved to know it's not just my boat but a "feature" of Catalina's in general.
I wouldn't think it's a "Catalina in general" kind of thing but depends on the layout of the particular boat model, including placement of the galley, tankage, etc., etc.

The port list is a well-known "feature" of the Catalina 30. I used to own one and frequented the C30 group so I know how often that issue was mentioned. I don't know about the Catalina 34. The Catalina 34 has an outstanding group (C34.org) and a few minute's research on that site will tell you if that is so for the Catalina 34 as well. Or, if Stu Jackson should pop in to this thread, he can answer it right off the top of his head.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
My 1977 Catalina 27 listed to port. When I hauled it out in the travel lift for survey, you could see the keel was off by amount one degree., LOL.

It sailed beautifully.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
My 1977 Catalina 27 listed to port. When I hauled it out in the travel lift for survey, you could see the keel was off by amount one degree., LOL.

It sailed beautifully.
I guess that'll do it....

In the case of the Catalina 30, I think the main contributor to the port list is the galley being to port. Also, the waste holding tank is on that side, so when it's full that would add to it. Likewise for the ice box when it has food and possibly ice in it.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Since the beginning of time.... boats of all sizes respond dramatically to ballast placement in the hull. Unlike a truck, where the medium it operates in is not displaceable, a keel boat's operating medium (water) will displace proportionately to the object it supports. So....as I suggested in 2006... your job as skipper/boat manager is to manage the moveable ballast so the resulting trim will maximize efficiency and performance.

After taking on supplies and munitions for a long cruise, it was common for the captain(CO), first officer (XO), and sailing master (Senior Chief) to be rowed around the vessel at its anchor to check its trim so adjustments could be made before heading out. Often ballast was shifted around while at sea to improve performance as provisions were consumed.

My point is simple... even if the boat sits perfectly vertical when it comes off the factory floor.... by the time gear, supplies, crew and equipment are added there will be changes in fore and aft, and side to side, trim. The first thing you do is move the gear/ballast around to even things up. After that, if you still can't get the boat sit the way you want, then could can consider the dealer's more permanent solution.

Finally, I would be interested to hear what Catalina factory people can offer to the discussion.

May 20, 2019
Catalina 36 MKI GIG HARBOR
I bought a '84 Catalina 36 MKI and yeah, the port list was pretty darn noticeable. We sleep in the vbirth and the startboard spot (she stuck me there) seems like it wouldn't be a big deal, but it is, you are lightly fighting rolling to port all night. I just loaded my tool box and heavy things on starboard as much as possible, but honestly the thing that made the big difference and got rid of basically all of it was two 5 gal jerry cans of diesel and two 5 gal jerry cans of fresh water on deck tied up starboard side on rail. Boom. No more list.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good for balancing list, but kind of spoils the middle of the night cuddling on the Port side of the boat.