Lines aft to AVOID single-handing!

Jul 8, 2014
Catalina C400 Oriental NC
During a recent cruise in the Pamlico sound, I almost lost the Admiral.

We just celebrated our 25th anniversary, I think I''d like to keep her.

(15+ knot winds and 2 to 3 foot chop, at times it was like riding a bucking bronco :)

Sent her up to the mast to loose the halyard so we could reef the main and the lightbulb went off

This is a good reason to run the lines aft!

I saw on this forum (can't find it now) a cool mast plate that had flanges on which you could attach blocks and rigging.

Can somebody direct me to that mast plate and any other of your favorite ideas for running lines to the cockpit?

Thanks!

Jul 1, 2012
MacGregor 26D Kirkland, WA
if you go on most of the boat parts suppliers online or in person, they will have what you need in the "deck organizer" section. if you don't want to put in a new mast base, just put vertical blocks to turn the rope horizontal, and lead that to a deck organizer (just a set of cheek blocks, made into one unit) or a single cheek block if you're only doing one line. and finish it with a cam cleat - or preferably, a clutch
like this:

Feb 11, 2014
Beneteau 40 cc Oceania Central Point
Willsnow is that a pic of your Mac d. If so do you have any more pics of your boat modifications posted ?

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

on my boat I have all the lines set up for single handed sailing.... my admiral doesn't swim and I do not plan to loose her... I make her wear her life preserver when she is up on deck...

here are some pictures of how I have my boat set up for solo sailing.... also I have included my drawing of how I set up my boat.... and there is a drawing of another boat set up for solo sailing too

sincerely
Jess

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Go to Dwyer to see a selection of mast plates. You can then find them cheaper from a reseller. You'll want the deck organizers too. Plan out how may lines you want to lead aft so you get the right hardware. Also make sure route them outside of your poptop cover if you have one. I also went with clutches instead of cleats. It's sooo much easier to use that way.

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
I ran half the lines down each side of the pop-top on my V-222 and found that it made it difficult to get from the cockpit to the bow so when I did it for my 26d I ran most of them down the starboard side leaving most of the port side free.

Attachments

Jul 8, 2014
Catalina C400 Oriental NC

Fantastic, thank you for the pics, the links and especially the drawings.

Exactly the guidance I needed.
Will post pics to "What did you do" in a couple of weeks.

:wow: You folks have some smart looking decks!

Apr 19, 2012
Ask and ye shall receive. ;)

I actually drew mine up so that I could see where things would be. Afterwards I printed it out so I could remember how to run the lines when I set-up the boat. It's a good thing I did because when I set it up a couple of weeks ago I realized that I had forgotten over the winter.

Jul 1, 2012
MacGregor 26D Kirkland, WA
Willsnow is that a pic of your Mac d. If so do you have any more pics of your boat modifications posted ?
oh, gosh no... mine looks nowhere near that good. i just didnt have a picture of my deck rigging to show the thread poster

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
I have the one justsomeguy posted. I like the front and rear holes better than ones with both sides.

They shoot out to the port side through a deck organizer and back through a set of clutches. I can use the winches if needed then just engage the clutch to keep the halyards tight.

I'll try to take a picture this weekend.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I did this on my O'day 25 last spring. Mast plate, sheaves, turning blocks and clutches all came from Garhaurer. They are easy to talk to when asking for advise. Even said I could go a bit cheaper and use Harken 150 cam cleats if I wanted. I still went with their clutches. The thing to watch out for is that you spec out blocks and clutches that match your line sizes.

Apr 19, 2012
A little late but I finally got some pictures. I posted my schematic earlier but I didn't make it to the water and was parked under some power lines so couldn't raise the mast to get any pictures.

I also spliced in quick-release shackles wherever I could to make set-up quicker. Also a picture of my dual main system.

Attachments

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
What are all those lines?

Main halyard, jib/Genoa, then what?
Spinnaker? vang?, topping?

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
You might want to consider this alternative to a mast plate.

Use halyard turning blocks instead. They mount on the mast (so less to "thread" when stepping the mast) and don't require tension or springs to keep from jamming. You can fit two per side if needed and the all up cost is far less than a "rattle plate" and blocks.

I've used both and prefer this for by far - never jams and easier setup.

Just be sure to mount them on the mast NOT the boat.

http://hardware.schaefermarine.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=91_95

Chris

cscott

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S - 1993 Aumsville, OR
hello all

... my admiral doesn't swim and I do not plan to loose her... I make her wear her life preserver when she is up on deck...

sincerely
Jess
My wife and I have our Life Vests on when we leave the dock until our return. You never know what may happen. :confused:

Apr 9, 2014
macgregor 26x Avon
Lines aft

We have a furling jib system.
Then ran centerboard line further aft, as well as main halyard.
Block and leads are coming back with harken blocks on bottom of lifeline
Fixtures. Been working for 3 years...

During a recent cruise in the Pamlico sound, I almost lost the Admiral.

We just celebrated our 25th anniversary, I think I''d like to keep her.

(15+ knot winds and 2 to 3 foot chop, at times it was like riding a bucking bronco :)

Sent her up to the mast to loose the halyard so we could reef the main and the lightbulb went off

This is a good reason to run the lines aft!

I saw on this forum (can't find it now) a cool mast plate that had flanges on which you could attach blocks and rigging.

Can somebody direct me to that mast plate and any other of your favorite ideas for running lines to the cockpit?

Thanks!

Attachments