Lightning Protection

Jul 9, 2015
Catalina 34 Mk II Toronto
Hi - I was told that Catalina does not put lightning protection systems into their boats. is this true? while my preference would be to not be on the boat during a storm, is there anything I can do? Can I buy an aftermarket one? I have heard some boaters attach a set of jumper cables to the shrouds and drop the other end in the lake. does anyone have any experience with this? thanks in advance.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
If what most people here in the Lightning Capitol of the U.S. (Florida) is any indication, buy a rabbit's foot, don't hold onto the mast and have another beer. Nothing else will help.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Hi - I was told that Catalina does not put lightning protection systems into their boats. is this true?.
Geoff,

No one had to tell you. It's right in the manual. If you don't have one, we have the C34 manual online at our C34 Association website.

BTW, the manual explains why they don't do it. A good read. Right up Don's alley, and he's right.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
As Stu pointed out, Catalina provides an explanation of the lack of lightning protection. That doesn't mean you have to believe it.:D

I admit. I read it and it made some sense. Then this last winter I read this post by Maine Sail.

That lead me to this letter in Profession Boat Builder.

This article in Ocean Navigator.

And this website.

Needless to say I am currently designing a lightening protection system to install on my next haul out.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
JK, thank you for the interesting links.
I would be very interested to see the system that you design.
Thr siedarc system appears to be a great improvement but too expensive for most of our boats. It will be informative to see how much more effective it is over a conventional mast to keel ground.