LIGHTNING DETECTOR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2008
Alerion Express 28 Oneida Lake, NY
Hi... We’re looking for a hand-held lightning detector. Our dock mate has an older unit from STORM WISE. Seems to work well, but they don’t appear to be available anymore. Also note that most online marine chandleries, including this one, don’t offer them, nor does L L Bean or REI. This almost leads me to suspect the quality of what’s currently available. Comments, anyone??? Paul s/v The Lord Nelson

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Actually your AM radio will detect

Doesn't matter if you are on the water or not, just turn on a radio to the AM band. If lightning is present you will hear it. I have played around with tuning from low to high band on the AM and it can detect close or very far away. Jim S/V Java

M

Monty Miller

Try this link...

We have the SkyScan and it has worked well for us for several years. It good for showing how far away the strikes are and if they are coming in your direction. A little pricey for what it does. If you get it, get a power adapter because it eats 9 volt batteries like crazy.

J

Jack W

Check this out.

I have one and it works pretty well after a little practice.

E

Ed

let me think about this one too.

If lightning hits i cant stop it anyway, do i really want to know if its close, I cant get away fast enough for it to matter. So i think ill wait to be suprised!

Jun 4, 2004
Sailboat - 48N x 89W
Cheap Lightning Detectors

Jim Seamans is right in asserting that a cheap AM radio makes an excellent lightning detector. BTW: If you can hear Thunder, Lightning is nearby, and an immediate danger.

Status
Not open for further replies.