Lightning and static electricity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bing

Jan 3, 2009
Bavaria 31 Cruiser Laguna Quays
We had a fierce electrical storm a couple of weeks ago. Our Bavaria 31 was in her pen in the marina. Witnesses told us that there was a bolt of lightning very close to us but not a direct hit. However, the electrostatic discharge from this lightning bolt fritzed our electronic switchboard. There is lots of anecdotal evidence to warn about static electricity affecting electronic components, so it's a real worry that there is no protection for the sensitive components on this switchboard. Luckily our insurance company has come to the party as this is a very expensive component (over $2000 including labour to fit it). Does lightning ever strike the same place twice??? Doesn't make us very confident out in an electrical storm. If it happens again, we'll be replacing the switchboard with a circuit breaker type - not so pretty, but much safer.

Oct 30, 2010
Abbott 28 ft Yawl Presque Isle Yacht Club, Erie, Pa
My 28 ft yawl has been hit twice in 10 years, the last time this June with extensive damage to my electronics, 12v lighting and 2 - 120 v Gfi outlets. Blew the wind rotovector off the top of the mast. Battery charger and marine radio also had to be replaced. Blew one 12v switch out of the panel but did not blow any 12v auto type fuses? in panel.
I have a copper ground plate on hull bottom and one small hole about 3 inches below the waterline appeared and starting weeping.
Lightning is a fascinating subject and the only way I have read to protect, is to completely disconnect ( and possibly remove) your instruments, both hot line and ground line.
I would like to hear other comments about protecting against lighting strikes.
Also, when this happened my sailboat was the only sailboat in the marina, all others being power.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
a NASA enginmeer across from nice n easy had his 50 ft lookslikeabeneteau behinds his house protected from lightning as only a NASA engineer is able -- AND HE WAS HIT 2 TIMES IN 4 YRS. yes it can hit twice. it can do anything it wants to do.

and then we sailed in it last yr with no ill effects--weird stuff, lightning....

Status
Not open for further replies.