Lifting off trailer?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Most yards are used to sailboats doing last minute touch ups when the boat is in the slings and it sounds like your boat will need to be lifted during launch

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
I transferred my 1988 Capri 22 from its old trailer (which had a costly axle failure and tow home) to my new Triad Trailer late this winter. I used 4 sailboat slanted stands (SB-3) and 1 bow stand (SB-3v) plus appropriate keel blocking.

Two stands were placed on the transom (to support the weight). The bow stand placed under the bow as far forward as possible to allow the trailer to move forward. On the old trailer, the trailer moved forward enough to allow the back of the wing keel to be blocked. I jacked up the bow stand high enough to allow the keel blocking to take the load.

Fortunately the center of mass was just about at the end of the keel. The only things left on the boat at the time were the mast and boom plus the batteries.

I lowered and removed the bow stand and dragged the trailer out.

Then I backed the new trailer in. The new trailer has a cross member that the old trailer did not have. The new trailer also has a long extension tongue that I did have to slide out allowing me to place the bow stand at a position to lift the weight off the keel blocks and slide the trailer further in.

Fortunately, the trailer keel support was far enough back that the keel was now over the keel support. I did have to reposition the bow stand another time. Once the trailer was out, I used the remaining two SB-3 stands to balance the boat and allow me to do some cabin work while waiting the paint to dry.

The one additional piece of equipment I had was my Kubota L3130 tractor. I used it to take the weight off the boat stands to allow me to easily spin the adjustment lever on the stands. I could have done this without using the tractor, but the tractor made it easier.

I repeated this exercise last month when I needed full access to the keel to rework the (leaking) keel to hull interface. (A section of the fiberglass covering the keel was "hollow" sounding when I first got the boat in 2009.) After proper removal of all detaching fiberglass, the area was filled with bonding epoxy and the keel area was re-fiberglassed together.

AND while the boat was free-standing with just the jacks, it was a much easier job to sand the hull down to the barrier coat. I added an additional layer of barrier coat then the antifouling paint.

Lifting a boat off of a trailer can be done with simple jacks and blocking. But I do want to have something similar to Brownell's BL2 manual boat lift system.