Lifespan of aluminum mast

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
My C22 mast is 30 years old, and doesn't show any obvious stress defects. However, I did notice last weekend that the mast seems to have a "natural" lateral bend of maybe 1" over the top 10 feet, standing, but with very loose shrouds. With the starboard upper shroud about 22 on a Loos PT-1 scale, and the port upper about 21, it straightens out. Seems okay to me.

Is there any concern that normal sailing and rigging stresses eventually add up to a weakened aluminum mast?

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Full disclosure-- I'm not qualified in any way shape and form to spout metallurgical theory but my mast is now 45 years old and shows no discernible signs of weakness nor stress.

Now -- add a freakshow PO with a penchance for hole drilling or some other version of abuse (improper rig tension-- defunct standing rigging) and the equation changes rapidly. But for my .02 the test of time is speaking loudly.

Apr 11, 2017
Thanks pclarksurf - there certainly does seem to be a lot of older masts in regular use. I haven't often heard of masts being replaced, unless they happen to come down on their own. Considering how flexible they are, and how easy it is to put pre-bend in, etc., I was just assuming there has to be a cumulative effect at some point. Aluminum aircraft seem to fly forever though, and they certainly have a lot of stress.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
good stuff here: essentially flexibility is your friend, but only to a point:

Below a certain stress level, the steel alloy will never fail due to cyclic loading alone. On the other hand, aluminum does not have a true endurance limit. It will always fail if tested to a sufficient number of cycles. Therefore, the fatigue strength of aluminum is usually reported as the stress level it can survive at a large total number of cycles, usually 5 · 108 cycles. It should be noted that there is a considerable amount of scatter in fatigue test results. It is therefore important to test a sufficient number of specimens to obtain statistically meaningful results.

Math and mechanical wizardry in the attachment :)

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Could then bend be from the mast not being secured/supported correctly for traveling/storage?

Apr 11, 2017
Could then bend be from the mast not being secured/supported correctly for traveling/storage?
That's my guess. I get the sense the boat sat unused for about 10 years for a period before I owned it, and it probably relates to how it was supported. There doesn't seem to be too much concern to mast age though.

gdudik

Oct 25, 2017
Catalina 22 Vancouver, WA
I’m in the same boat (heh) as @pclarksurf. 45 year old OVAL style mast, which means its for sure original. POs have drilled holes all over the place. Mine has a little bit of a bow in the middle from being trailered with no center support over the years. Both most recent PO and I raced this boat at least some. I don’t see any signs of impending doom. I just adjust the shrouds to keep the mast in column and then as per the tech manual. Works fine!

Apr 11, 2017
I'm no engineer, but thinking about it a little further, most of the stress on the mast would seem to be straight down compression, directed from the shrouds. Given that, it would seem difficult to collapse a mast absent a shroud failure. Probably not much to worry about really.

Of course, I've just cursed myself by ever making that statement..

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It is one of those things that I would not worry about until it breaks. The shrouds and fittings on the other hand should be inspected every six months. Lost a mast years ago for a simple cotter pin.