Legend 35.5 keel issue

nfg2u

Feb 13, 2016
Hunter Legend 35.5 Fort Pierce
Is this where the keel attaches. Just on the hard and seeing where it looks like its debonding at the seem. Is this normal?
Thanks

Attachments

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
Normal? I think not. IDK if that's where the keel attaches, looks like it, but I don't have anything like that showing on mt 35.5.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Not normal, IMHO. Hire someone to fix it. Lift the boat off the keel, clean the joint and re-bed.

nfg2u

Feb 13, 2016
Thanks for the swift reply, I will have someone look at it tomorrow.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Wise move. The stub joint should not appear to be compromised, which is what the photo shows. Many years ago ours looked like yours. I had the yard lift the boat off of the keel, clean the joint surfaces and re-bed with 3M-5200. That was in 2004. The stub joint remains solid and sealed to this day after cruising many thousands of miles.

What caused it to look like that is hard to say, but considering the way Hunter builds their boats I would suspect the keel hit something with enough force to open the stub joint seal.

Trying to seal it from the outside without dropping the keel and re-bedding is only a temporary fix. It appears from the photo there is water inside the joint cavity. Also, make sure that the yard inspects the keel bolts for stretch that might have resulted from a hit force. If so, the yard can add a thick shim washer to the keel bolts so that the bolt nut is raised into fresh threads.

nfg2u

Feb 13, 2016
Thanks Terry for the detailed info. What's interesting is I just had her out of the water for a pre-buy survey. I took a good look at the bottom and I nor the surveyor saw anything out of the ordinary. This happened after the keel was supported on the hard, not sure when it showed but I had not seen the boat for a few days. I am pulling the floor up anyway so we will get a good look at the bolts. I'll post the resolution once the yard has had a chance to look at it.
Steve