Leaking

Jul 18, 2020
Catalina 275 11 Westbrook, CT
I have put my 89 Capri 22 in the water for the first time in 9 years
I also have leaking along junction of deck and top sides, This seemed to start after stepping mast but chain plate seems dry. Next option is stantions or the rub rail screws. Any thoughts?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Congratulations on splashing your boat!! Might find the article entitled "expert-advice/tracing-tricky-leaks-on-a-boat" and SBO thread on Catalina 22 leak helpful as a start.

Jul 18, 2020
Catalina 275 11 Westbrook, CT
Before my Capri goes back in I wanted to pull stantions and chain plates to recaulk and seal I believe main leak are my chain plates. What calking material do you recommend and are there a rubber type gasket that I could add.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Before my Capri goes back in I wanted to pull stantions and chain plates to recaulk and seal I believe main leak are my chain plates. What calking material do you recommend and are there a rubber type gasket that I could add.
@Maine Sail's article is the best place to start:
You can order high-quality butyl from his site.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
I have put my 89 Capri 22 in the water for the first time in 9 years
I also have leaking along junction of deck and top sides, This seemed to start after stepping mast but chain plate seems dry. Next option is stantions or the rub rail screws. Any thoughts?
I found some "hollow sounding" fiberglass where the keel and the hull attach when I first got my 1988 Capri 22 in 2009. At the time, I thought I had stalled the area up sufficiently.

But last season, I noticed water in the bilge when I never saw any before.

After taking the boat out at the end of last season, I noticed "leakage" from both sides of the keel to hull juncture.

I ground out all of the hollow area after letting the area dry until late June. Once the offending area was removed, I used West Systems Epoxy thickened with 404 filler. Once cured, I wrapped the keel in several layers of fiberglass.