Lead keel

Echo

May 30, 2009
2 22 Saranac Lake
Hello all,
We have been sailing our Sirius 22 for a few years and it seems a bit tender, especially in puffy conditions. I've been thinking about swapping out the iron swing keel for a lead one, which would add around 100 lbs of ballast. Has anyone done this. Thanks, Tom

May 8, 2022
Sirius 21 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Hello, as long as the keel is the same shape and size, I don't see a problem with that. I am a new Sirius 21 owner, and I need help with operating the swing keel. How do you lower the keel? I was able to crank up the keel slightly before launching the boat in the water, but now when I turn the winch the other way nothing happens. the winch handle simply rotates freely with no tension on it at all. Is there some kind of clutch/brake or a lever that needs to be moved? Any help would be appreciated.

Aug 16, 2014
sirius 22 Canning
Hello, as long as the keel is the same shape and size, I don't see a problem with that. I am a new Sirius 21 owner, and I need help with operating the swing keel. How do you lower the keel? I was able to crank up the keel slightly before launching the boat in the water, but now when I turn the winch the other way nothing happens. the winch handle simply rotates freely with no tension on it at all. Is there some kind of clutch/brake or a lever that needs to be moved? Any help would be appreciated.
Hi, I presume you worked it out? Just bought one myself, what did you find?

Feb 12, 2022
Sirius 21 TBD
Make sure you have locking bolt removed when you lower or lift your keel.
Keel_Locking.JPG

dsims

Sep 22, 2017
Sirius 21 Clear Lake
You may be having the same problem I'm dealing with at the moment. My keel is stuck in the trunk. It has been on the trailer for almost 10 years. During that time the keel has rusted and flaked off some, causing it to swell around the pivot point in the trunk, binding it up. Mine will only move about 3 cranks, essentially what it can do on the trailer. I've been working under it, slowly chipping away the accumulated rust flakes in the trunk. Hopefully I'll be able to get it free.

Under the flakes, the keel is in good shape and really hasn't lost much material, just need to get it cleaned up.