Lazy jacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gaston

I recently purchased a 1998, Catalina 42. The previous owner removed the topping lift and installed a hydraulic boom vang. My problem is that when I lower the main, its very heavy to fold on the boom. I was looking at some lazy jacks in the catalogue and the prices seam exagerated. I'm thinking of making my own. If anyone has had the experience of making one, I could use some ideas or plans. Gaston grioux@sympatico.ca

H

Hayden Watson

E-Z jax are the answer

I have E-Z jax on my boat and they work great. You can check them out at www.ezjax.com. With this system you don't have to modify your sail cover or worry about chafing the sail. If you are handy at splicing line you could easily make a set very cheeply. Hayden Watson S/V Papillon C30 Spokane, WA

G

Gaston

e z jacks

Thanks Hayden for your answer. I checked the site in question and its looks interesting. I would like very much try and build it myself, it would be cheaper. You would't have the plans for a EZ jack? If not thanks anyway.

H

Hayden Watson

e-z-jax

I love my E-Z-Jax. My boat is a C30 tall rig so the measurements would be different, but if you like I will measure my set. You might be able to scale it up to fit your main. The system consists of 2 cheek blocks mounted on the mast just under the spreaders, 2 small cleats somewhere easy to reach on the mast and 4 small lines each side of different lengths with stainless steel rings spliced on. You can tie the rings onto the line until you get the right length.

E

Ernie A

The 1998 C-42 should have come with a DUTCHMAN...

... and even if not currently there, you may be set up for it. Hi, Gaston-- My '98 C-42 came with a DUTCHMAN reefing system. If not currently installed, your "98 C-42 should be DUTCHMAN-ready. Check your main. If it is the original Catalina-supplied sail, there will two rows of plastic-reinforced eyelets -- about 8 or 9 forward, 5 or 6 aft. If so, you are set. All you need is to order the appropriate topping lift and fittings from DUTCHMAN in CT. The topping lift is fitted to the mast head with a small tackle attached to the boom-end of the topping lift with the running end of the line reeved through the boom, through a block at the mast collar, through the line organizer, to a line clutch. A topping lift is perfectly compatible with a hydraulic or any other kind of vang because it usually isn't used as a topping lift, but as a support for the Dutchman lines which reeve through the eyelets in the mainsail. So, rather than a spiderweb of lazyjack lines, you have two nylon "fishing lines" from the topping lift to the foot of the sail. Adjust the vang and let go the halyard -- the mainsail practically folds itself on the boom. It has to be seen to be believed. Placing the sailcover is easy because there are just two slits in the cover to accomodate the DUTCHMAN lines. I swear by it! Good luck-- Ernie April WindCatcher, C-42 #618

Status
Not open for further replies.