Launching Wing Keel CAT22

• Thread starter Jim/ Mast Confusion
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim/ Mast Confusion

I just purchased A cat 22 and I am wondering if there are any problems launching from a trailer. The owners manual says to have the boat launched at a marina. I had a Compac 19 w/ a keel and had no problems with it. Any info would be greatly appriceated on this or any other coments on the boat in general. Its gona be a long winter waiting to get her in the water. I havent even sailed her yet "Thanks"

D

Douglas G Yong

Wing away

Launching your wing keel depends on a few factors. Do you have a tongue extention on your trailer ? Have you tried it out. I mean just go down to an empty ramp and try the rig out. Dont raise the mast or bother about anything else. Just get comfy with backing up and seeing how far you need to go back into the water to float the boat clear. How to guide the keel off and onto the trailer etc. If its to coldbe cause of winter then throw on a pair of waiders. If you dont have a tongue extention have you ever rope launched ? To rope launch you back the trailer partialy down the ramp . Stop the vehicle being sure to set the parking break. Block the wheels of the trailer. Tie a good strong rope or tow stap to the vehicle bumper or hitch. Tie the other end to the trailer. Now unhook the trailer wires and emergency chain. Unhook the trailer and pull the tow vehicle forward to take up the slack and move the trailer forward off of the chocks. Move the chocks out of the way and back the trailer and boat into the water using the strap/rope untill the boat floats free. Always be sure to have a bow line on the boat so you dont lose her to the water. Once the boat floats free secure it. Then pull the trailer out of the water and hook the ball hitch etc back up and park the rig. Have fun. NOTE be sure the ramp is long enough and goes out under the water far enough. If launching in salt water be aware of the tides hight on the ramp.

Status
Not open for further replies.