Larger Waste Holding Tanks?

Nov 19, 2017
Bavaria Bavaria 40 North Hero, VT
I would like to replace the tiny 10 gallon aft waste holding tank on my 2002 Bavaria 40. Does anyone know if there are any larger molded plastic waste tanks available on the market? If so, can you direct me to a manufacturer? I am removing the hanging locker in order to enlarge the aft holding tank. Ronco (USA) doesn't have anything in their catalog and would have to create a mold for a larger tank, based on dimensions provided to them.

I may also consider replacing the forward waste holding tank as well, after the aft holding tank is replaced. Anyone have experience with replacing the OEM forward waste holding tank with a larger tank? I'd love to get your feedback, information on tank supplier/manufacturer and issues with completing the change out.

Jeff Tirey

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I see you've just joined our merry band...welcome aboard!

Triple M Plastics in Maine Triple M Plastic Products Inc makes top quality custom welded tanks...more expensive than a rotomolded tank (one that already exists), but a lot less than the cost of making a mold for one. A number of people on sbo.com have bought tanks from Triple M and have nothing but praise for 'em.

However, before you go that route, have you investigated other locations for new larger tanks? I've often been able to find a space that owners never consider and will be glad to help you explore possible options.

Nov 19, 2017
Bavaria Bavaria 40 North Hero, VT
Peggie:
Thank you for your info on Triple M Plastics.

I have spent some time looking at possible locations for an enlarged wast holding tank in my boat and think that the existing locker, with the hanging locker portion removed, still offers the best option. But if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears! There is a small locker space below the hanging locker where the existing tank is now, but it does not offer as much volume as where I was planning to locate the new tank.

I've done all the measurements and put the new proposed tank into CAD, so can send off drawings to Triple M for a quote, which I will probably do today.

I don't know if you own a Bavaria sailboat or not, but I was hoping to hear from at least one more person who has replaced the original waste holding tanks with larger tanks to see what their experience was.

Best wishes for your holiday season,

Jeff Tirey

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
There is a small locker space below the hanging locker where the existing tank is now, but it does not offer as much volume as where I was planning to locate the new tank.
If you remove the "floor" from the hanging locker, you'd have shorter hanging space but that would give you allot more room for a taller tank. You can make a plywood cover for it. Send me a PM if you want to discuss this and other options in more detail than is practical in a forum.