Lancer 28 trailer

Aug 5, 2015
Lancer 28 Port Lavaca
Howdy,
my Lancer 28 is taking on water through the bottom of the bilge at a rate that would fill the bilge in an hour or two if the pump wasn't running. Not sure what happened but I was away for a week and when I came back the cabin had two feet of water in it. That water was pumped out and the bilge was replaced. Since then, water has been trickling in from the bottom of the bilge.

Any advice?

Anyone in the Houston, ATX, Corpus area that would be willing to rent their trailer to me for a weekend so I can take it to be dry-docked?

Contact me ASAP
361-482-9506
sizer.thomas@gmail.com

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
When you say "replace the bilge" what exactly did you replace. Coming up through the bottom would indicate that your keel attachments was leaking... but remember.... any water leaking into the boat from practically any place will end up in the bilge... it's the lowest point...

Aug 5, 2015
Lancer 28 Port Lavaca
Replaced the bilge pump. The water is bubbling out in the forward starboard corner of the bilge. I have a pump running almost non stop- So I'd like to get it out of the water asap before I have another problem with the pump.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
As you may be able to appreciate the most common bilge pumps are just "convenience fixtures" intended to expel small, incidental amounts of water from bilge so you do not have to manually scoop it or soak it up. They are not intended to be relied upon to keep a boat afloat. Water leaks have a nasty characteristic of traveling so before you do anything take a look around the whole boat with special attention to all the hoses and thru-hulls. Check the water tank and plumbing lines. Check the engine water pump, hoses,heat exchanger, exhaust and the packing gland. Make sure the cockpit scoops are clear, also check anay hoses that are routed through the inside of the hull. Continue and observe the keel bolts. In any instance finding two feet of water above the sole is not normal and points to a significant intrusion which must be found. It could be helpful to determine if the water is fresh or salty. It could help point out if the leak is from rain or water tank or if it is from sea water. I would urge you to find the leak promptly, try to diminish it and get it fixed. A lot of folks feel the need to install large bilge pumps in large boats when the reality is that the smaller boats are the ones that will fill up and sink the fastest.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
sizertl, being in Texas there should be an abundant source of trailers. If you can't find a Lancer trailer then maybe you should look for a Catalina trailer. I am sure there would be a lot of them available for rent. Try Craigs List or put an ad in Craigs List. I would love to find a suitable trailer for my L27PS to bring it home to work on. Not fun trying to work on the boat in the slip.

Good luck.