Lancer 28 Layout..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 26, 2012
Adventure Yachts Fantasia 35 Vancouver, BC
Lancer 28 Layout.. yes

I have a 1980 Lancer 28, and yes, I have no mast support pole either. I'm working on replacing my VHF antenna wires, and that required digging under the headliner, just aft of the head doorway.

Directly below the mast, there is a large beam laminated into the deck, which carries the weight of the mast. I don't knowq how/if that weight is transfered to the hull, as I haven't been over that far. It would be nice it someone who has had the full view could post a photo.

I have a question of my own though.

On deck, there is a visable line across, where the curve alters, right where that beam would be located. Does your Lancer show this too? I'm asking out of concern that it may indicate sagging. I think that was the design, but I'm not certain.

On the eBay boat, I paid far less, but mine does not have the inboard diesel, My tiller bucks like hell when I put my outboard into reverse.

Auction just ended with no sale:
$3105 bidded / Buy Now for $5700

Regards

Feb 1, 2007
-Lancer -28 The Sea Of Cortez
So they did change the design a little and put a heavy bridge across the cabin top to support the mast AND the rigging tension which is a considerable load..

That guy spent a fortune having the Yanmar put in but he will never recover that "investment"...I have come to the conclusion that the new 4-stroke outboards offer a FAR better solution to powering sailboats that are under 30 feet...

You can expect the tiller to want to swing hard right or left when backing..The rudder pivot point was designed for forward motion..It's the pressure of the water on the rudder that you feel...You will discover that prop rotation will tend to "walk" the stern one way or the other when backing also...Learn which way the boat favors and avoid getting into jams in tight places...

Jun 8, 2010
Lancer 28 ATX
running an outboard is your best bang for your buck and will help out with total weight. I have a 1981 Lancer 28 T and I am painting and updating the inside and the bulk head located under the mask has always been a big concern of mine. I remember looking into this a while back and literally a guy put a custom jack that supported both sides of the door/walk way under the mask where you would cross over to go to the restroom/bow of the boat. I think this is the only way you can ensure that the support is there especially as the boat ages. I think the makers of the boat had a good idea to knock out that bar that shoots into the cabin and moved the mask forward a few feet but as we all can see the support between the mask and the entrance on the top deck begins to give a little. I can feel the 'sag' as I walk over the top sometimes which makes me even more want to create one of these custom supports. I just recently tore out all the interior and will take a few pictures to post what it looks like underneath. I am soo happy to find this site again and see all the new post. I have tons of questions and advice. Take a look at my pics. I am almost done with the final coat. In final touch up phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.