Lancer 27 to buy or not

JanS48

Oct 3, 2014
Still Looking 27 Newport RI
Greetings all, newbie here - the name is Jan.
I currently have a Seafarer 23 which is a bit tired, I'd be happy to donate it to a new home.

Anyway I'm looking at an 84 Lancer 27 which appears to be in very good condition which includes a 140hp motor - I'm concerned that the motor is a bit on the large side.
I'll be doing 95% sailing. I'm used to the way the Seafarer 23 handles (which is not great), also used to an O'Day 22 which points better and goes notably faster than the Seafarer.

Any comments on the choice of the Lancer 27? I can get it for 5k including a nice trailer.

I'll be sailing out of Newport RI - and occasionally doing a bit of short ocean going.

Things to look out for? Sailing ability?

Thanks in advance
- Jan

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Welcome to SBO, Jan. Make yourself at home.

The 140 is the max that boat will handle. I have a Yamaha 9.9 and it works very well.

Since the L27 is a power sailor, it was designed along the lines of the Mac26. It can be powered or sailed. In either situation, it doesn't do either as good as a devoted power boat or devoted sail boat. However, she handles really well undersail.

5k for the boat and the trailer is a decent price. (Please survey the boat first before making the purchase. There may be hidden problems.) I would jump on it just for the trailer. You might never need the trailer but you might find someone like me who needs a trailer on occasions. LOL

Please visit my page (in signature) for the L27PS user manual if you don't have one already. If you have specific questions or need images of specific parts let me know.

I moved this over to the Lancer Owners page so that you know there is one, and also where a lot of Lancer owners hang out.

Jul 10, 2011
Lancer 27PS 27 Powersailer Ohio - Lake Erie
Hi Jan,
Brian is correct, the 27PS does not do either really well, but sails just fine.

I have a 40hp two stroke on mine, and have to say I feel the boat sails much better than it powers.

I love my 27PS and keep thinking about going to a pure sailboat, but then, I just can't get rid of my Lancer 27.
Todd

Mar 27, 2014
Lancer 27ps Dana Point, CA
I like it because its the best of both worlds. I motor 12 knots at 4700 rpm when its dead calm in the morning. When I get tired of that and wind picks up hoist the sails and away she goes.