Lake Erie Cruising

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan Bryant

A job transfer may have me moving from my beloved Chesapeake Bay to the Pittsburgh area. The closest large body of water would be Lake Erie, around the Erie PA or Cleveland area. Question for my Northern neighbors: How is the sailing on Lake Erie? Are there places to anchor? Any suggestions as to where to keep a sailboat? Any good cruising books on the area? Thanks, Prophecy

M

Mike Alge

Lake Erie

I have found over the years that Lake Erie is on a par with the Chesapeak. My personal oppinion is that the western basin holds the most interest as it is a very busy place on weekends . It can be difficult to sail on at times because of all the powerboat chop. After 15+ years on the lake I learned to go out where the powerboats aren't and so avoid having a nicely set main and jib ruined by the powerboats. Some of the bigger powerboats produce a pretty devastating wake. I am hoping this 37' cutter will not be as affected as was the 28 Columbia. Ithink it is a great place to sail and if you get out in the middle east of Kelly's Island and out of sight of land it can be like sailing on the ocean. I have been out in the lake with 12 to 15 ft. waves and it can be a real rush Good luck

E

Ed Schenck

Tough Lake Erie.

Hi Dan, We sail our H37C out of Harbor North marina in Huron, OH. Several sailors from Pittsburgh have their boats there. Marinas between Cleveland and Erie, PA. would be closer for you but you would not have easy access to the islands. The islands off Cedar Point are where most of the anchoring and partying take place. Ed (of Canton, formerly of Pittsburgh) eschenck@ezo.net

G

Gene Foraker

Lake Erie Sailing

Lake Erie has some great sailing, but there are differences from the Chesapeak. When the railroads came through last century, they built their tracks right along the Ohio shore. This cuts off most rivers, creeks and such as non navigable unlike the Chesapeak with plenty of anchorages. There ARE a few protected anchorages in the West end and they are only lightly used overnight. Most boaters have never anchored out overnight. This is a great sport fishing area and powerboats outnumber sailboats 3 to 1. The west end offers a number of nice ports of call and if you dock there, easy day or weekend destinations. I sail out of the Sandusky Bay which has the added advantage of being a nice large protected bay to sail in when it is too rough to comfortably sail on the Lake. Yes, Lake Erie can get quite rough. While 6 to 10 foot waves on the ocean can be OK because they are "rollers", Lake Erie's shallowness makes the waves close together and almost square cut. 6 to 10 foot waves can come up quickly and are more like sailing in surf. On the plus side, the fresh water makes your boat much easier to maintain with almost no chance of rust or corrosion. The water temperature will warm up to the mid to upper 70's in July and August and be great for swimming with no nettles like in the Chesapeak. The Ohio Turnpike runs almost straight to Sundusky with the drive taking you probably a little over 3 hrs. The fellow next to me drives up from Kentucky every weekend with around 4 hrs. each way. Lake levels dropped significantly last year making some marinas too shallow. There are waiting lists for some of the best deep draft marinas so don't wait too long. Gene Foraker

T

Tom Lincoln

The Inland Sea

Lake Erie, I am that crazy guy that drives every weekend to Sandusky from Kentucky that Gene mentioned. Erie is a lot different than the Bay. It is truly a large body of water about 40 miles wide and I think nearly 300 long. It is much more like sailing on the ocean from a navigation standpoint except there are shallows particularly around the Islands area. It can however be much nastier when it comes to waves or what is refered to as Erie Chop. All as a result of the shallow water. Another big difference between The Bay and Erie is the lack of natural anchorages found in The Chesapeake. In the 70's we trailered our 22 footer and later on chartered boats in The Bay. The Bay is outstanding in that respect. Erie has fresh water, swiming without nettles, cost of services and dockage,are all reasonable and make it an attractive area to sail. Most of the sailing/boating is around the Island area from Vermillion to Port Clinton with Sandusky bay having the most marinas. If your looking at charts don't be fooled by the charted depth that seems too shallow to navigate. The actual depth,even at this years very low level is still a couple of feet deeper than what is shown on the chart. Usually the depth is about four feet deeper than the charts show but not this year and it is not predicted any better next year. Try it you'll like it.

H

herbie

another from Pittsburgh area

Dan; contact another sailor from Pittsburgh herbies@home.com

G

Gene Foraker

Lake Erie

Hi, Tom. You really aren't that unusual. Battery Park where we are both docked now is more of a "local" marina. Bay Point, where I was previously docked, is more of a destination resort marina and it sometimes seems as if half the people are from the Columbus area and quite a few from the Dayton/Cincinnatti area which is down by you. It really isn't unusual for people to drive great distances to enjoy this hobby of ours.

S

sail 6310

WHAT A GREAT PLACE

I USE TO WORK AT CEDER POINT AND PARTY WITH THE GUYS THAT KEPT UP THE BIG BOATS FOR THE RICH IN CLEV. THEY WOULD GET A CALL AND MOTOR OUT TO TAKE THE OWNER FOR A CRUISE. COME BACK CLEAN UP AND PARTY WITH THE LEFTOVERS! I WAS IN WITH SOME PEOPLE WHO WOULD DAY RENT CATS AND SAIL TO THE ISLANDS - IF YOU WERE GOOD YOU COULD GO ALL THE WAY TO CANADA. THE LAKE WAS PRETY POLUTED THEN BUT I HEAR IT HAS GOTTEN CLEANER... ONE THING TO LOOK OUT FOR ARE THE BIG BOATS THEY WILL CUT YOU IN HALF SO STAY AWAY. BUT IF YOU KEEP TO YOUR SELF YOU'LL HAVE A BLAST!

D

David Smith

The Lake Erie Western Basin

We feel the western Lake Erie Area is one of the best cruising areas as the Islands offer great anchorages and destinations. We sail out of Sandusky Harbour Marina and due north are Kelly's, the bass islands, Pelee Island, and beautiful Leamington, Ontario. This area always offers a lee anchorage, the water now is quite clean, the fishing good, and the swimming is wonderful from late June into September. The season is shorter than what you are used to but you also have 5 great lakes of adventure waiting for you.

D

Dale Borts

Lake Erie Sailing

I have sailed on both the Chesapeake and Lake Erie. I find that the anchorages are more plentiful and better protected than those on Lake Erie, though Lake Erie gives you more of an open water feel. I currently have kept a 36' Cat on the Lake and sail out of Brands Marina in Port Clinton. The Sailing season is from mid April to mid October. You may be able to extend the saeson a little bit but you have to be careful. I would recomend either a floating dock or a fixed dock with a four point tie off due to wind tides and seasonal water fluctuations. Destinations in the western basin within a days sail would include; Kellys Island,Put in Bay,Middle Bass Island Pelee Island, Sandusky Bay (Cedar Point),Toledo, Vermillion, Leamington Ontario, Rondeau Erieu Ontario, and Cleveland. It is a Blast But you have to watch the weather conditions. If it is black in the west watch out. Hope this helps. dborts@prodigy.net.

E

Ed

Erie

I keep my 34 at Bay Harbor Marina in the city of Erie. It is a very nice well run Marina on Presque Isle bay. Adjacent is Perry's Landing Marina, another nice one that is more expensive. The good point about this location is that if the lake is rough, you have plenty of sailing room in the bay. There is a quiet place to anchor on the north side of the bay which is seldom crowded. It is about 2hr and 15 min ride from Pittsburgh. The down side of this area is that the nearest ports are 25 miles away - Conneaut Ohio or Barcelona NY. Port dover in Ontario is about 40nm across the lake. The Canadiens make it easy to enter their country. There is a Water Way guide to the great Lakes put out by Communication Channels, Inc.

C

Colin Campbell

Lake sailing

Have any of you tried the North Channel? If once you sample this norther part of Lake Huron, you will be hooked for life. Agreed too far from most of you to keep your boats there, but some excellent charter organizations exist and the scenery, sailing conditions cannot be beaten.

D

Dale Bailey

Welcome to Lake Erie. Check out the magazine Great Lakes Cruiser, it will give you info on ports all over the great lakes. Also Lakeland Boating publishes a book on the lakes, you can find it at Boatus. And don't forget the Great Lakes Cruising Club. For under $400 you receive a massive amount of info on all the lakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.