Killem for diesel fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 16, 2012
Hunter Legend 37 Halifax
I bought a sailboat with a diesel on Sept 1st. It had a near full tank of diesel and I haven't used the engine much. Tank is about 50 liters. I need to top up for the winter (Nova Scotia Canada) and want to add Killem. It will likely take about 5 - 10 liters. What I don't know is if the existing fuel has already had an anti bacterial agent added. If I add enough for the full tank am I likely to do damage?

Thanks
Phil

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
Dump that stuff in your brother in laws home furnace's fuel tank and put fresh diesel in your boat for the winter. Burns fine but if it doesn't well...what are brother in laws for.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
One ounce treats 120 gal. I doubt that you will have a problem if you treat the entire tank but it does not take very much. Your tank is only 13 gal. to begin with.

The alternative is to drain the tank in the spring and take it to your local fire department (or your brother-in-laws furnace).

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
Sorry AtlanticPhil, meant you could dump it safely if worried, I have used in the furnace oil tank, well diluted. Better than an oil recycle tank. The old fuel[how old] likely has the ''maintenance'' ratio amount of additive so doubling it up would just be the ''tuneup'' mix. And you are right to mix it up too.
Merry Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.