Keel Winch Handle

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve

We have a 1983 22 with a swing keel. There was a .400" thick teak washer directly behind the course thread keel winch handle that fell apart when I remove the handle. Does anyone know whether this wooden washer is functional or just a spacer to better clear the trim panel in front. The diameter of the washer matched the trim panel cut out.

R

Rico

Think you might have guessed it

Your spacer notion is likely to be correct. I now suppose a previous owner of my craft faced the same situation you are in now. It has no teak (or wood of any kind) there. The handle is backed by two large shouldered nuts, torqued together, and set at the proper distance, to clear the trim panel. This must be one of his modifications. Your post solved the mystery I faced when I replaced the original 1/2" formica faced plywood trim with 3/4" oak ply. Using the old panel as a template, I almost cut out a huge hole unecessarily for the spindle. Anyhow, this rig works just fine. Hope it is useful to you. --Rico

C

cat. sail 6310

STILL GOT IT

HA I STILL HAVE MY WOOD WASHER -SPACER . WHY IT IS THERE ONLY THE CAT. EGINEERS KNOWS -ANYONE KNOWS A NAVAL ARCHITECT? PS BEEN THERE SINCE 1976. SAIL#6310

Status
Not open for further replies.