Keel repair problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2012
MacGregor Venture21 1970 Quincy
Ok I removed the sheet from around my ankle, so no longer caught...Now

Trying to remove the keel on my (new to me) 1970 V21 so I can restore it. Cable connection rusted off at the clamp end. Keel doesn't drop. I think that the rust has swelled up so much on the keel in the cockpit that the keel is stuck in the up position.
I was able to push a putty knife between the keel and hull for the whole length till I reached the cockpit. The whole top end of the keel is rusted and most of the fiberglass has fallen off...except for the portion where the keel and cockpit wall meet.

Hammered side of keel and knocked off as much rust as I was able, also in hopes of releasing keel by vibration. (yes staying out of the way if it dropped)
Tried jacking the keel upwards with a floor-jack to see if I could find any movement at all.
Am thinking a tiger saw cut but I know that will damage the cockpit more then it may already be damaged from the rust swelling.

Any help and ideas please.

Thank you.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Get yourself a length of pipe (or round stock) that will fit through the hole that the keel cable went through and a sledge hammer. Make it long enough that someone can hold it steady while another hits it. If that hole is too small, you can drill a bigger hole in the top of the keel trunk inside the boat and do the same thing. This hole should be easy to reglass over later. Can you turn the pivot bolt? or is it frozen into the keel?

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
A carpenters saw might reach up and not do to much damage but be very, very carefull.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
I think you will find that your keel is made out of a steel I Beam that has fillers and fiberglass to shape it into a keel. That is what MacGregor did back in those days. After a while those keels lost shape due to water intrusion, the i beam rusting and just everything falling apart.

May 5, 2012
Thank you for the replies. As scheduling allows I will try what you each recommend.
Keel bolt moved 1/4 turn and may be rusted to keel or last owner may have used some 4200 on the bolt. Will get out the air compressor and impact driver to try again.
I can fit a 1 inch pipe through the cable hole at the keel trunk and will give that a try as well.
As for a carpenter's saw...clearance for the saw blade height could be a problem. Will see if it will work. 1/32 smoother repair need vs 1/4 rough repair sounds much better.

Would cutting the top off the keel cockpit (above the keel bolt) create added problems or would that be an easy repair? (patch and re-glass)

Am thinking I may have found a name for the boat that my wife will agree with... Money Pit
I am sure she will be a nice sailing boat and looking sharp when the restore is finished. For now I just want to get her sail-able and get out in the wind on the water.

May 5, 2012
I think you will find that your keel is made out of a steel I Beam that has fillers and fiberglass to shape it into a keel....
Seems to have an inner core of solid flat steel. May have been 3 layers and the outer layers have rusted and swelled. Half round length of steel on the leading edge, all sandwiched together then covered with fillers for shaping and then glassed over.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Most important statement-----------------

For now I just want to get her sail-able and get out in the wind on the water.

May 5, 2012
I can fit a 1 inch pipe through the cable hole at the keel trunk and will give that a try as well.
As for a carpenter's saw...clearance for the saw blade height could be a problem. Will see if it will work. 1/32 smoother repair need vs 1/4 rough repair sounds much better.
Pipe did not work. Carpenter's saw won't work as the steel will kill the saw. Very tight between the wall and keel. Tiger saw is slow going but will get me there I hope. From what I can see the tiger saw blade is not marking up the hull but cutting into the keel glass.
Would cutting the top off the keel cockpit (above the keel bolt) create added problems or would that be an easy repair? (patch and re-glass).

Feb 14, 2012
MacGregor Venture 222 Lake Washington
Read through my same fight with my keel.

http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=138065

But basically, I had this problem. I solved it by hooking my car up via a come along to the rear hole of the keel with a cable and work the keel back to where it opens up a bit.

Not sure if you have access to that rear hole. But I tried everything before discovering this method.

Of course my keel bolt came out easily, and it was just my keel that was stuck.

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
Am thinking I may have found a name for the boat that my wife will agree with... Money Pit
I thought that your forum name was the name of your boat, and that it was extremely witty! (had a twinge of boat name envy for a second!) Can you use that as a name, or does it belong to another boat or something...?
(Maybe you can use "caught between the sheets AGAIN"?) ;)

May 5, 2012
I wanted that for a boat name but the Captain I mean... wife didn't find it in the same light as a sailor would understand lol.

If wanted....you can use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.