Keel removal help

Jan 13, 2020
MacGregor 25 Home
I would like to remove my keel for repainting. How heavy is it? Removal and reinstall Process?
Currently it’s bolted in place with the cable attached resting on the trailer.

Also looking for a genoa 150%. Not sure what Dimensions will fit

Thanks in advance
John

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
What year Mac25 is it? I have an '85 and the swing keel is 750#. You'll find a number of folks on this site who have posted a variety of removal/replacement techniques. Not an easy or friendly task, to be sure! While you have it out, IMHO it would be prudent to replace the bolt and rubbers gasket/washers, and be sure to check out the winch and condition of the cable. All those are available at Blue Water.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have removed and repaired the keels on a Mac 21 a Mac 22 a Rhodes 22 and a balboa 26

if you go to my profile page and look through my balboa album you will see some pics of the process

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Here's one way.

Maz413

Jan 8, 2020
Macgregor 25 Brimfield
Did you drop it yet? I just dropped mine. Real easy. Its about 600 lbs. I haven't sandblasted it yet or done any work on it.
I do have the boat on Pallets and removed the trailer. so everything was out of the way. I got my parts at https://bwyachts.com

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
It is 650#. I have some pics and how to on this site. Look up under TsatzSue. I have done it a few times. Pulling the trailer out is a must.

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Ditto to Tsatzsue, click on my profile picture and check out my MacGregor album (MissAdVenture). lots of keel pictures there.