Keel Refinishing

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Geoff Atkinson

I was wondering if anyone has removed their keel and what is the best way to do that? Do I need to Jack my boat up or will it slide out (and in) without a problem. Also, what is the best paint for the keel? Any information would be helpful.

F

Frank

Been There Done That

I have hull #10583 a 1982 model. I have removed my keel for maintenance about two years ago. I did the work while my boat was on the trailer. I first had to jack my boat up off the trailer about 7". I then put 2x4 blucks between the trailer rails and the boat at 2 points on each side. I have also done 2 bottom jobs like this. I left the keel cable attached and put a jack under the keel beneath the pivot point, undid the 4 bolts and lowered it onto a board. I then slid it out. Be careful that the keel does not hit a section of your boat frame as you lower it. My frame was such that the keel cable side pivoted up and could punch a hole in the bottom if you were not careful. taking it off was easy. the hard part was getting it back. It took 4 of us to man handle it back. -- Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.