keel pin bracket bolts : anti-seize?

Dec 22, 2016
catalina 22 Panama City, FL
Is Permatex Anti-seize lubricant (#81343) ok to use on these bolts ? That is what I have on hand.
Details : these are the four bolts that secure the two brackets underneath the Cat22 hull. These brackets hold the pin that allows the swing keel to pivot.
-thanks

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I don't think my keel bolts had been touched in 30 years, and they came out without any problems as all.

I couldn't detect if anti-seize, or anything at all, had been used on them. I'd go ahead and use what you have on hand - if it were me. Every season, it's probably good anyway to just give them a little turn & back to make sure they stay freed up.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Dec 22, 2016
catalina 22 Panama City, FL
Too late, I already used the anti-seize. I posted this question in the wrong forum and when I didn't get the usual immediate response, I assumed you guys were ignoring me. Then somebody pointed out that I was in the wrong forum.
Hopefully split lock washers will keep them secure and the anti-seize will prevent corrosion. I will check them occasionally and if they remain snug, I will check again in 2048.

ambler

Dec 7, 2013
catalina 22 11619 Watauga Lake, TN
The Catalina Direct bolt kit has loctite and split ring lock washers. You really don't want them coming out accidentally. I replaced my bolts when I refinished the keel. They'd been there 35years and came out easily. I also discovered that the cotter pin on the keel winch cable pin was missing. I'm lucky it never worked it's way out.

gdudik

Oct 25, 2017
Catalina 22 Vancouver, WA
Stirring the pot::stir:

NASA has claimed that split lock washers are essentially useless as a locking device. Other sources show that a split lock washer flattens out at around 10% of bolt’s clamping capacity.

https://engineerdog.com/2015/01/11/10-tricks-engineers-need-to-know-about-fasteners/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washer_(hardware)

Therefore, I would argue that the blue thread locker that should be used with these keel bolts is the only locking device actually being employed. Replace that thread locker with a thread lubricant and the only thing you’re counting on to hold the bolts in is bolt stretch due to proper torquing.