keel hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 1, 2005
Chrysler C-22 Winchester, KY
Does anyone have a detailed drawing or dimensions for the keel plates and pin for a C-22? Also looking for dimensions for the pin that is used to raise the mast. Grover AQUA AVIS II

J

Jeff Arnfield, s/v Windward

Best info is MIA...

The Chrysler Sailing Association website at http://chryslersailing.lizards.net used to have some good info on fixing the C-22 swing keel under the "how to" section, but it was via a link to another server (www.cashflowfactory.com) that has since dropped those pages. We're trying to recover the info, but I don't know which sailor contributed the info, which complicates matters a bit. Fair Winds, Jeff s/v Windward

flyhop

Aug 8, 2005
Oday 28 Guntersville AL
Keel Brackets question

I have just had a set of brackets made, and they were installed Saturday. There are several people who want brackets, so I'm about to arrange for a production run. Stand by. Details to follow soon. Take care.

B

Beau

location of the info

Jeff....was the boat "Blue Healer" and the owner "Nathan Swalm" ? Seems like that is what is stuck in one of my memory banks.. bl

Apr 1, 2005
C-22 KEEL HARDWARE

I started working on this project in January, and the information from Nathan at the "LIZARDS" site was only a sketch. The information about the removal and installation of the keel was very helpful. The site has a lot of information, but seems to be static. I have now manufactured a complete set, and will be trying it this week. If they work OK I will have a good set of drawings. Will appreciate any help on this from anyone. Grover AQUA AVIS II

Apr 1, 2005
Maybe we can exchange dimensions for comparison. I used a cordax on the patterns that I "attempted" to make from the original parts, but they were in very bad shape. I also made a mast step pin. Grover AQUA AVIS II

flyhop

Aug 8, 2005
Oday 28 Guntersville AL
Contact me...I've done it...there's a trick or 2

flyhop@comcast.net I just installed my brackets this past weekend, and there is a thing or two I wished I had known before I got started. I can help you avoid some of the same mistakes. Regards, Trey

W

Windward

How about a tech writeup??

Grover and Flyhop, How about a writeup of the keel repair process, ideally with some photos, which I will post on the How To section of Chrysler Sailing Association? Additionally, I can post you as a source for the brackets, if you like. BTW, if you end up making any of the C-26 swing keel pivot shoes, I'd buy a set. They're much different from the C-22, though. Fair Winds, Jeff s/v Windward 1978 C-26 #481

flyhop

Aug 8, 2005
Oday 28 Guntersville AL
Hole patterns solution

I have written and spoken to some C22 owners who have replaced their brackets. It seems there is some variation in the hole patterns to which you refer. Here's what worked for me. When I had a set of brackets made, I specifically asked them NOT to drill the bolt holes (these bolts hold the brackets to the keel trunk). When they arrived, I dryfitted them with the bolts loosely tightened and the pin run through both brackets. Once I was satisfied the pin was lined up and moving freely between the two brackets (that it would slide back and forth with little resistance), I ducked into the cabin. Armed with a Q-tip bent at a 90 degree angle and a bottle of red finger nail polish, I would dip the Q-tip into the "paint", and then poke that end into the bolt hole. The Qtip is almost a perfect fit and left a red circle for the drilling process. Once I installed the brackets, they were virtually a perfect fit.

Aug 23, 2005
- - Tampa, Florida
C-22 keel EXPERT!!!

Well now. You boys seem to have a lot of questions and answers about keel plates for the old Chysler sail boats. I have made patterns for the C-22. First I made the patters out of 1/4" plywood/cut on a scroll saw/dry fitted to locate the holes. Patterns fit perfectly. Then the wooden patterns were used to make steel plates out of 3/8 stock. However, I did not have the holes predrilled. Next, I dry fitted the plates/marked the holes with a pencil eraser dipped in hot red fingernail polish/drilled out the holes and WALLA--plates done. The only problem is that the hull is recessed for the plates and is at an angle/deeper at the top and the center pin did not line up due to the angle of the recess. Might want to consider that ANGLE if you are planning to create some c-22 plates.

Status
Not open for further replies.