Kayak keel guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
Does anyone have a fiberglass kayak? I'm looking for some sort of material to put on my keel - it seems like I keep having to put extra glass down from dragging it around, and havent really come across a good alternative? Duct tape?

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S Lucama, NC
A friend of mine

used to put about 3 thicknesses of duct tape on th4e keel at each end, brought up to deck level. When it got ragged, he would peel it off and redo it. I used to do the same on the bow of my whitewater canoe. Still couldn't move boulders with it, but the plastic didn't suffer as much.... ;D -Paul

J Page

Feb 5, 2004
Hunter 30 Muskegon MI
on my dingy

I added a 3 ft long old piece of rub rail ( rubber, plastic not metal) to the keel with screws and sealed it with 4200. I can drag it up cement banks, parking lots, rocky shores ect. three seasons now and all is well. Mine was the same. Had to repair every couple of seasons when i wore hole in it. Hopefully not anymore. Might work for you. Pray for Wind, Lugeman

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 340 St Andrews Bay
PWC Keel guard would work

Defender and West Marine sell keel guards for PWC and dinghies. That should work on your kayak too. You might check the chandlery here too.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Wheels

I have seen wheels that mount to the transom of a dingy. They fold up when the boat is in use. I wonder how they would work on a fiberglass dingy because that may be an interesting alternative for me. The ones that I have seen are made for RIBs.

Jul 19, 2005
- - s/v GAIA Great Lakes
Check out paddling.net

That's what they are all about. Look for the message link on the left side, good people there. Tom s/v GAIA

Status
Not open for further replies.