Just bought a 22

Jul 24, 2020
Catalina 22 Kingston
Hello All,

So I just bought a Catalina 22 at auction. It's a little rough looking, missing sails, rudder, and tiller. It needs ALOT of cleaning but the hull is in great shape.

I'm not worried about the work, I restored my first boat which was an Albacore. That restoration included repairing a few holes in the hull and a completely destroyed gelcoat.
I made a few mistakes on the Albacore, the biggest one was destroying the hull number which was engraved in the glass. So this time around I want to make sure I keep this info intact.

Today was my first visit to the boat on my lunch hour and took a picture of the plate on the transom inside the cockpit.
It looks like a U367, or 11367, or _367. I've attached the photos I took I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Attachments

Jul 24, 2020
Catalina 22 Kingston
Ah now that it's been pointed out, I can see the 4 :)

Is there a place where I can find out the history of the hull?

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Your HIN is actually on the right side of the hull outside the transom just below the rubrail roughly engraved by drunken style hand. may look something like this
Had to rub over it with blue sharpie to bring it up enough to photgraph.
HIN on stern (2).jpg
l

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Right, the HIN contains the serial number of the hull found on the brass plate inside the transom, the rest of the HIN gives you the manufacterer, month and year of production. And if built at California or Florida plant. Look for other HIN threads or go to Catalina22.org for more info.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
here's mine proximal to the rub rail -- and as noted they are going to vary in their drunkeness and difficulty to read. Newer models actually have a cleaner stamp @Jacktar is far more organized than my '73 version:

IMG_0303.JPG

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Congrats & Welcome!

#4367 = 1974, only the 5th year of production, so you have an early (and faster) one!

Aside from this forum (the best resource), here's a good one as Jacktar mentioned:

Feb 22, 2015
Catalina 30 Redondo Beach
Boats are quite good at looking after themselves. Abandoned boats have survived for months and even years wandering the oceans.

As a newbie, tis likely your sails are trimmed too tight. Ease sheets.
Depowering lessens heel, any of: turn to weather, ease sheets, luff main, flatten sails, ease traveller, reef, let go tiller.

As to capsizing, I tried to do it once on a 15 footer, had to stand on gunwale, light wind. Almost couldn't do it.
On a 22 footer an over 7 foot breaking wave might roll her.

Try this, trim for a reach, then put tiller hard to leeward and hold for 10 minutes. Then hard to weather. You'll either circle or hove to. Then center tiller and let go.
Enjoy.

Jul 24, 2020
Catalina 22 Kingston
Right, the HIN contains the serial number of the hull found on the brass plate inside the transom, the rest of the HIN gives you the manufacterer, month and year of production.
So I found the HIN after much looking, good thing my son was there with his eagle eyes. Even after taking 4 pictures zoomed in of (sections) the HIN I've figured out most of the digits.

I have: CTYH4?670874. I'm not sure what the ? is, my son says it's a 5. I've attached the photo of that section of the HIN.

I'm a bit confused about how to read this HIN. I assume the HIN is 4?67 but then I have 4 numbers and not letter, #, #, letter.

Attachments

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
what's your sail #? if it's original that's your 4 digits -- you were manufactured August of 74

edit-- your transom plate in the cockpit at least in the early years also called out the "serial #" or the sail number for yet another point of proof.

Jul 24, 2020
Catalina 22 Kingston
what's your sail #? if it's original that's your 4 digits -- you were manufactured August of 74

edit-- your transom plate in the cockpit at least in the early years also called out the "serial #" or the sail number for yet another point of proof.
Unfortunately the boat does not have it's sails, rudder, or tiller but I did take a picture of the transom plate. I started this thread with that photo and completely forgot about looking at that. So HIN 4367 it is :)

Thanks for the help