Just bought a 1971 Catalina 22

Jul 25, 2019
J 24 1979 Honolulu, HI
Needs some work, but it seems the essentials are in pretty good shape. Sails are relatively new and rigging appears to be just a couple of years old.

Just want to say aloha as I'm sure I will have tons of questions as I start working on her. My wife and I are fairly new to sailing and completely new to boat ownership and restoration!

rlStdi3CQ4yQbz5tC+OfQA.jpg
GX+XPfpURnC4v%t4PJcozw.jpg

PGOhECm0TTqbw4tJYqz09Q.jpg
HVchRU46QOGAmbwUjrwIow.jpg
NtsuIQnWT32rSGYxftJN%Q.jpg

Mar 31, 2019
Catalina 22 12640 Rose City Yacht Club
Congrats!! She's a beauty! I also bought a Catalina 22 this year, my first ever boat, and I couldn't be happier. Hope you two have a lot of fun sailing her and restoring her, in that order. Keep us updated on both!

- Andre

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
@G0ri11@ ,

Good evening, and welcome to SBO! You've come to the right place to seek advice and friendly suggestions; this forum has definitely helped me immensely in the past year! Congratulations on your Cat 22; they're fun little boats to sail, and have a good amount of space for their size! Based on the photos you posted, she looks to be in decent shape, but you never know the underlying issues just waiting to throw themselves at you at any moment in time. That, however, is just boating...! Fair winds, and can't wait to see your progress!

Jul 25, 2019
J 24 1979 Honolulu, HI
Haha, thanks. The forward hatch will be one of the first things to be replaced. After the motor....

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
BTW the forward hatch is not original equipment, check the deck around the hole for softness , might need a little repair there before doing any real work on the hatch itself.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Congratulations!! You really are lucky with a beautiful cruising ground too -- I also think you might be the only poster here from Hawaii. Feel free to post any questions you have, and also - the search function for this C22 forum will give you a ton of good sail handling information as well. Good luck-

Apr 11, 2017
Is there any crime scene tape in that boat? I just noticed that red cabin sole...

Just joking - looks good, and you should have a fast boat there. From what I've heard, C22 racers prefer boats of that year range, as they were much better for racing.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Practical Sailor did a strength test awhile back on anchor shackles. Looks like you should be fine on that front! :poke:

Have a blast with your new boat, and feel free to ask plenty of questions here. It's a great community and an invaluable resource.

Jul 25, 2019
J 24 1979 Honolulu, HI
So, I’m selling the C22 to someone who is in the same situation I was in of needing a boat as a slip holder. He doesn’t have plans to sail it, so I’m considering seeing if he will let me keep the furler. I’d like to have the option to install it on my J24.

I checked the measurements and it is close enough that it will fit, for casual cruising. But, all of the distinguishing marks of the furler are worn away and I have no idea what brand it is. Is there a type that might have been a common option for a boat this age? Would the kind CD sells be the best guess?

I’ll try to remember to take a picture tomorrow.

Apr 11, 2017
I'd try checking the catalina direct website, and see if your furler looks anything like what they have there. Probably find a match.