Junking a Boat

Dec 17, 2007
Lancer- 25- Cherry Point, NC
As a single man, I bought myself a 1976 Lancer 25 and spent 3 years rebuilding it from the ground up. Then the Marine Corps sent me to 29 Palms, California for 3 years. I put my boat on its trailer and parked it in North Carolina until I came home. I'm not sure if somebody broke into it at some point or if weather was to blame but the front hatch was open when I checked on it a few weeks ago and water has flooded the cabin up to about the 2nd step down on my ladder going into the cabin. I'm not sure how long the water's been there but I worry my boat isn't salvageable. Since I moved to California, I now am married and have two little girls. I don't have the time and money to get the boat up back to a good state and I don't see my wife taking the girls out on the boat anytime in the next few years as she's intimidated by the level of activity involved in sailing and watching both of our babies.

What do you guys think? Would a boat donation program take a sailboat that's had water in it? Do I offer it to a marine surplus place for parts? Or do I try to sell it as is as a parts boat? Will a junkyard take a sailboat? Totally at a loss here and could use some advice, suggestions. I bought a trailer for her right before I left for California and it has less than 100 miles on it. It seems foolish for me to part with the trailer and motor for free. Thanks for reading and I really would appreciate any and all feedback.

-Nick

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
I would give it to boat angels. They sell them for charity eBay and you write off the cost as a deduction.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
That would depend on your ability to dismantle the boat vs your income and tax bracket.
The keel is 1200 lbs. of lead. At $.85/lb. it is worth about $1000. The mast and boom about 80 - 100 labs will get you $40 -50. There is more value in the trailer, teak salvage and hardware. What's left can be cut up with a chain saw or saws all and hauled to the dump.
I have friends who do this as a side income. They are not sailors so it does not affect them. Me, it breaks my heart, so I tend to bring stray dogs home and rehabilitate them

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Scrap lead BUYS for 51 cents/lb in non-industrial quantities.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Wow. That means that probably 1/5 of all the boats in CA are worth more as lead mines than boats.
If you have seen the condition of some of these boats you are sadly correct.

Feb 3, 2012
Corbin 39 Pilothouse Cutter Lyme, CT
I know someone who parted out a 30 ft boat on eBay, cut it up with a chainsaw, and has been tossing pieces into a dumpster for a year. That's one way!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Semper Fi, sir!

Have you checked with Gottschalk Marina on LeJeune? They might still have a boat yard there. It has been almost 20 years since I was there.

I am sure you have drained the boat and looked it over. Have you had it surveyed though? It might be some work but the integrety might still be there, just have to replace the wood.

New River is a great sailing area. Used to work at Gottschalk Marina when I was stationed there in '86. Been a long time. I should visit next time I am on the East Coast.

Mar 26, 2012
Adventure Yachts Fantasia 35 Vancouver, BC
Fix it, or donate to a buddy!

Your boat is fiberglass. It's like a canoe left out in the rain for the winter. If it froze solid yes, but in Carolina? I don't believe it's going to affect the structure. Not like it would with a small power-boat, where the stringers will rot out.

Your kids will get older faster than you can believe now, and children like boats!

Toss the carpet, because it'll smell,

Get new cushions made up.

Replace the wood doors, if the teak is hooped, and likely the hinges.

Replace teak plywood with marine plywood if you can get it, but otherwise regular plywood will do... unless you plan to fill the boat up again. Stain and varnish will make it look acceptable.

Biggest challenge is electrical. Batteries would be junk.

Your breaker box likely went under, and that would need to be replaced. No biggie though, it's a lot simpler than a car.

Because it's rain water, the existing wire will likely be fine. If not, rewiring is not that big a deal on that size of a boat. Get a tape fish to string it though tight spots. Use marine wire though, so it doesn't corrode, although my first boat used lamp-wire, and that lasted 40 years!

Don't want the trouble? Give it to a good buddy and let him fix it. In return, he has to take you out for a weekends each year, and the beer is on him!

That's more fun than cutting it up with a chainsaw, although that could also get you a lot of beer...

Dec 17, 2007
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Wife talked me back from the ledge and had me write up a Craig's List ad. I put a package sale price of $1000 and I've got two serious buyers who want it this weekend. Much better fate than the chainsaw / dumpster course of action I was leaning towards. I REALLY want to cut out the Lancer logo from the main before I turn it over though. Have it framed and hanging in my office (doubles as a laundry room). Wrestling with the ethics of it though. Again, I really appreciate the help. This family will get out on the water one day.

Dec 17, 2007
Brian, I tried calling Gottschalk and liked your idea of keeping it in the Devil Dog tribe. I supported the 29 Palms chaplain's sailing mentorship / leadership program down in Pendleton a few times. I thought MCCS might want it as a boat to rent out the way Del Mar Marina did, but the staffer on the phone said they weren't in the buying business. Very well.

S/F boss!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Brian, I tried calling Gottschalk and liked your idea of keeping it in the Devil Dog tribe. I supported the 29 Palms chaplain's sailing mentorship / leadership program down in Pendleton a few times. I thought MCCS might want it as a boat to rent out the way Del Mar Marina did, but the staffer on the phone said they weren't in the buying business. Very well.

S/F boss!
If you ever get out to Pendleton, let me know in advance and we will hit the waves!

Feb 1, 2007
-Lancer -28 The Sea Of Cortez
Sadly, it's the same down here in Mexico....The market for sailboats, especially older used ones, is GONE..it just costs too much to keep them and maintain them..Guys are stripping them and towing them out to deep water and scuttling them..Lead and all....

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
I was at an auction today and this boat sold for $25.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Sorry that C-27 went for $3200.

This boat went for $25.

Feb 1, 2007
-Lancer -28 The Sea Of Cortez
After you cut up a fiberglass boat, you will need to scrap the chainsaw too....I think a standard chain would last about 4 or 5 minutes.. A carbide tipped chain maybe a little longer. Some people say the lead ballast is encapsulated in resin,..almost impossible to salvage...