Jib sheet tracks

Mar 25, 2013
Hunter 26 Ceasar Creek
looking for input. I recently updated my sails from Precision Sails and I now have a 106 headsail. The original block location is too far forward. I have job tracks I purchased. My question is about mounting. Has anyone mounted them on the solid rise sides of the lift top frame? It appears to be rather thick fiberglass.
20200614_150051.jpg
Screenshot_20200614-152051_Gallery.jpg

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
What did you think of the new sails and Precision sails.
I need new sails.
Nick

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I would be careful about mounting them too far inboard. Perhaps you should call the sailmaker and ask what the optimum "sheet angle" is for this sail and boat(the angle between the boat's center line and one drawn from the bow stem to the lead block). I would be inclined to install the track on the same line as the existing fixed mount block.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Are you asking if you can just bolt right into the glass at that spot, or are you planning to use backing plates (you should) and you want to know if that location is good?

Of course the answer is dependent upon the cut of your jib and the style of track and car you are using. It looks good from what you have shown in the photos, but you should answer Crazy Dave's questions and let us know how high, low your jib tack is. A nice side view of the whole boat should be great, preferably with the jib in question set.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 25, 2013
Hunter 26 Ceasar Creek
sorry it took so long, I haven't been to the boat.
Here are some pictures. 1995 H26
I was planning on either screwing into the fiberglass and reinforce each screw with epoxy. Or, install with split type rivets also reinforced with epoxy.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
sorry it took so long, I haven't been to the boat.
Here are some pictures. 1995 H26
I was planning on either screwing into the fiberglass and reinforce each screw with epoxy. Or, install with split type rivets also reinforced with epoxy.
Don't need pictures, this is a terrible idea to screw into the deck. They will ripe out , you must through bolt them with backing plates. Please do it right for your safety or don't bother changing anything.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Looked at photo again. It is the 45 degree edge of the companionway top. Forget screwing into fiberglass as screws will rip out. Not really a good place to put them nor any way to put in backing plates. If the poster wishes to talk with me, I will be glad to. Send me a private message

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 26 Ghost lake
Before you start drilling and cutting, maybe rearrange the way you have your jib sheet routed. If you run the sheet thru the flying block first and then the deck block you will now have more control over your sheeting location and angle. This will give you the same effect as a jib car and track without the work and expense. I tried to load a photo example but the file is too large for the server apparently. G

May 27, 2020
Hunter 26 Idaho
ijust attached my companionway cover snaps to this very location on my H-26 and I can tell you that fiberglass is neither thick nor easy to get at from the inside for backing plates.

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
As Dewhunter posted running a flying block is the best solution . Looking at your picture it looks like you already are using flying blocks.