Jib sheet cleat

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
Would anyone like to share their jib sheet cleat set up for single handed sailing? I was thinking of using cam cleats with a fairlead so the sheets don't run back to the jib car. They will be placed in same location as the factory cleat aft of the winch.
BTW I will be singlehanding with the family in the cockpit with me so I wasn't planing on using a tiller extension.
As always thanks in advance.

Russ

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
If I understand you, the fairlead will prevent you from quickly uncleating the line and pulling the line off the winch. You will have to uncleat, then grab the line between the fairlead and winch to take it off the winch.
I was planning on using cam cleats without fairleads to lock my jib sheets but then the old winches froze up and I bit the bullet and bought self tailing winches.

You may need to put the cam cleats on riser blocks to get the proper height and maybe angle them up to the winch.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
No fairlead

I have used a jam cleat for years with no problems. When the wind picks up you must make sure you jam the line into the cleat or it may release. Releasing even in high winds is so easy.

Attachments

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina 250 CSA at Carlyle Lake
I used some simple cam cleats on risers. Worked perfectly all the time!
Greg

Attachments

Apr 1, 2010
Cal 33 and Sea Pearl 21 . Crystal River, FL
should have bought an old design boat where the sheeting arrangement makes sense!!!!

i had to slide that in since this is about the ONLY time the the old design really trumps the new design boats!! if we can get gene neill onto his soapbox this thread will be DONE!!!

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Well I don't feel like relocating them yet. I'll just slap them on a riser and make that decision after I sail her a bit.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
should have bought an old design boat where the sheeting arrangement makes sense!!!!

i had to slide that in since this is about the ONLY time the the old design really trumps the new design boats!! if we can get gene neill onto his soapbox this thread will be DONE!!!
Ahem ... :redface:

Yes, as much as I love the our design C22, like any boat it isn't perfect. And sadly, in a couple areas, it is noticeably inferior to the original design, IMHO.

Jib sheeting is #1 among those areas, and is my #1 pet peeve. On the original boats, you haul the sheet inboard, toward yourself, the way God intended for it to be done. On the new design, you have to pull the sheet aft, across your body, which is a very weak, awkward, and physiologically dangerous way to pull on something. Short of adding self tailing winches (are you listening, Santa?) I can't imagine a "good" way to cleat the jib sheets on a new design C22. Watercolors may have the best method, which is just using the factory-installed jam cleats.

T_Cat, I like the way your cam cleat turns the sheet angle inboard, but I don't think I would like the way it holds the sheet captive, so to speak. In order to help the jib across the bow while tacking, I am in the habit of blowing the sheet off the winch entirely, to eliminate any friction. You'll have to tell me how it goes for you.

Here is my arrangement. It is almost identical to yours, except with no fairlead on the cam cleat. I don't really endorse it though, and if I were starting over, I really do think I would stick to jam cleats, like Watercolors has.

And start a piggy bank for some self tailing winches.;)

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
EDIT ... The cleat Watercolors has pictured is what I would have called a "clam" cleat. This was the "jam" cleat I was talking about, which Catalina installed (on my boat at least). I have not used either kind.

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
I did the PO for putting this set-up on the boat. I love it, in light winds I use the cams and in heavy wins the jam cleats....

Attachments

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
I used clam cleats on the training boat for the jib sheets. We spent most of the time holding the sheets with 2-3 wraps on the winch because they kept slipping. I'm going to try the fairleads because I don't want the sheet to run all the way to the jib car when tacking. And I'm hoping it will improve the angle I can pull on the sheet. Though I'll probably have to release the sheet and remove the wraps on the winch each time to get it slack for the jib to tack. If I don't like it I could always replace the jam cleats that came from the factory and relocate the cam cleat like Azguy has.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
I have used a jam cleat for years with no problems. When the wind picks up you must make sure you jam the line into the cleat or it may release. Releasing even in high winds is so easy.
Isnt this a clam cleat?

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
Gene I had those cleats on my boat when I bought it. I'm sure that they are great for many but for myself after being in a really bad pop up gust situation and trying to get it uncleated and nearly having to change my shorts when I couldn't get it uncleated I switched everything to cam cleats although I'm sure there are lots of alternatives and arrangements I love the cam cleats.

Honestly I'm in the category of owners that never use my wenches either though so guess I'm a bit odd and sail my own way just never have had the need to use them the sails are just not that big. Since my cams are arranged so that I can sit on one side and pull from the other using my feet as braces against the seat on the far side. My cams also have the fairleads just makes it easier for myself.

I also am an odd one I guess I have very large line 3/4" if I'm not mistakin for my jib sheets. Reason being is that I like how it fits in my hands and nothing more than that. My main sheet is standard along with all the rest of my lines I find it much easier to hold on to the larger line for the jib sheet.