Jib furler on Hunter 356

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
Hi folks,

I took my 356 to the yard last week to pull the stick and remove all the standing rigging to be redone. While it's down I also plan to update the anchor/steaming light fixture, replace the wind instrument, add radar and replace the VHF cable.

I spoke to the yard yesterday and they were having difficulty removing the forestay from the jib furler. They said the screws in the drum were corroded in place. I don't see any labeling on the furler, but it looks like it might be a Profurl? What came on these boats originally? Any advice I can pass along to the yard?

1617048024164.png

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Ouch!! Do an internet search on "how to remove a screw that is rusted in place" and you will find many options and YouTube videos including:
  1. Apply a liquid penetrate that dissolves corrosion on the screw.
  2. Hit the head of the screw with a hammer to loosen it.
  3. Heat the object that the screw is stuck inside with a lighter if the object is made of metal.
  4. Drill it out. Get a metal drill bit the size of the screw head, put your drill on the low speed/high torque setting and drill the screw out. Be careful not to drill through the hardware. at the object that the screw is stuck inside with a lighter if the object is made of metal.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
the standard 356 furler was a profurl B29. All of the above suggestions for pulling the screws are good - if there's damage to the forestay, rust, hooks, etc it should be evaluated and probably replaced